Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Any problems with this setup?

Started by Meerkat ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Any problems with this setup?

2 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    First off thanks for taking the time to help a noob before he spends way too much money. I have never done any underwater photography before. I got a D200 about 5 months ago and have started to become familiar with it. I'll be heading on a two week trip to Fiji with quite a bit of Scuba and snorkeling. I will likely be taking pictures mostly in fairly shallow water. I started looking around the net for advice on UW and came upon this site. I've tried to do my homework and searched around for a while. But before I go ahead and purchase I hoped someone could point out any problems with my proposed set up. Unfortunately I am not in the US right now (or anywhere else with a good photography store). For the next week however my wife is a 45 minute drive away from B&H.

     

    What I already have:

    N80

    D200

    AF-S Nikkor 18-200 G ED DX

    Sigma 105mm 1:2.8 D EX

     

    Unless I'm mistaken my 18-200 will be useless with UW housings.

     

    So here is what Im looking at purchasing:

    Ikelite 6812 iTTL housing

    Ikelite DS-125 Strobe kit (includes sync cord, ball socket arm, and diffuser)

    Ikelite Flat port 5505.58

    Nikkor 12-24 G ED DX

    Ikelite Dome Port 5503.50

    plus two extra sets of O rings, and body caps :-)

     

    My questions are:

    1) Is there anything obviously wrong?

    2) How much benefit is there to going up to the 8" dome?

    3) Do I need a diopter (I dont think so)?

    4) Can anyone recommend some basic filters that one shouldnt be without on a trip like this?

     

    Thanks again for any help. Your site has already loaded me up with good advice and tips.

     

    Cheers,

    Seth

  2. Welcome!

     

    I'm glad you found us here. You will find a great community of folks happy to help.

     

    First I would say that if this is your first experience shooting underwater you should know that a DSLR system is quite complex and burdensome to travel and dive with. It does give you the greatest amount of flexibility and possibility to take the best possible pictures but it also has a steep learning curve and for a while it will be harder to get decent photos not easier. You should consider what benefit you expect from a DSLR and be sure you can't accomplish it with a point and shoot first. If so it can save you a lot of grief.

     

    That said, your system looks fine. You have all the basics there and it all will work great.

     

    A few more things to add/consider:

     

    1) you should use a diopter with the 12-24mm. While its not strictly necessary to focus, the close focus is right on the hairy edge and even with an 8" dome the consensus here is that you will get sharper corners with a +2 diopter.

     

    2) I would consider getting the Tokina 12-24mm over the Nikon. The Nikon is very expensive. The Tokina is nearly as good at less than 1/2 the price. When I bought mine the Nikon was the only housable WA Zoom, Nikon or Canon. Now there are lots. The Other than the Nikon, the Tokina seems to be the best of the lot.

     

    3) Does the DS125 come with a quick charger? I'd check this. Sometimes the charger is not included. You need the quick charger for the newer battery.

     

    4) A few extras are nice to have.

     

    a) I always carry a set of two short screwdrivers to mount the camera. Its possible to use a coin but there is always something that needs tightening.

    B) A diving clip to attach the camera to your BC in case you drop it.

    c)A 12-pack sized soft cooler to cary the camera on the dive boat. DSLRs are complicated and you want to have everything set up in the hotel room ready to go so you aren't assembling it on the boat, getting seasick and exposing it to the very wet dive boat. Also it is protected from bumps and kicks. A soft cooler is normally watertight so it doubles as a rinse tank.

     

    5) The 6" dome is fine. But I like the 8" dome better. I think it gives sharper corners, is better constructed, is easier to get split-level shots and is easier to carry if you have more than one WA lens. If you think you will ever get the 10.5mm FE and or a 15mm FE it is cheaper to get the 8" dome and smaller to cary than 3 6" domes. If all you want is the 12-24mm then the 6" is fine.

     

    Good Luck!

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.