Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Wori Critters

Started by Nick Hope ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Wori Critters

12 posts
  1. I've got a new video at the top of my Bunaken & Manado page.

     

    This footage was taken from a single dive at Wori which is a mucky macro site near Manado. I went there with Two Fish Divers from Bunaken Island. It was soon after I got my Z1 last November (and a day before I trashed it, doh).

     

    Well, I say it's from a single dive, I've added some footage at the end from the following dive at nearby Tiwoho so I could fill up the full duration of Kevin MacLeod's lovely music track.

     

    I was using the flat port on the Bluefin (I think!), some shots with flip macro, some without. Some with lights, some without. Mixture of manual and auto exposure and focus with auto exposure shots knocked down to AE-1 or -2 in a picture profile.

     

    Thought I'd add the marine life names as titles just to do something different. Good or not?

     

    This time I shelled out and upgraded to On2 FlixPro to get the 2-pass capability for Flash 8 video. 480x270, 500kbps, plus 96kbps audio. And published with Brightcove so they can pay the bandwidth :) FlixPro would not encode the full length of a Sony YUV AVI file. Had to use Cineform AVI to get it to work :(

     

    Might try and stick a 640x360 DivX version on Stage6.com to see how it looks.

     

    Look out for the nudibranch turning to the camera to take a dump at around 1:30 :) and the juvenile Graeffe's sea cucumber which cleverly mimics a toxic wart slug :) It's totally different as an adult.

     

    Can't wait to get back there in September.

     

    Please let me know what you think and if it plays OK for you. Cheers :)

  2. Nick

    Nice work.

    It played back my end no probs.

     

    Cool nudi dump :)

  3. Played o.k for me as well..

     

    Very nice Nick...How about some narrative though...

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  4. Cheers guys. Yeah, I'm thinking about digging out my mic and doing some narrative on the next one.

  5. Also put a Bunaken night dive video on my main underwater videos page. Same trip with the Z1 and Sunray halogen lights.

  6. Very nice material NickH; Flash technology seems to really do the trick on websites these days. Anyone know whether one can encode to Flash from FCP? - maybe the new FCP6 supports - I've had no time to do much fun stuff at all at the moment, but this seems to be the trend ....

     

    Nigel and Tina make good hosts don't they? Heather and I are overdue a trip back ...

  7. Nice work Nick.

     

    Great camera work and editing. Liked the music also. No problems with playback.

  8. Very well done, Nick. Good stable camera work, great color. The music went beautifully with the footage. I really enjoyed it--thank you for sharing! [Oh, and it played back fine for me.]

     

    Mary Lynn

    Edited by Mary Lynn
  9. Hey Nick,

    Way to go!! Downloaded easy.

    Steve B)

  10. Nick, really enjoyed it. Played with no issues. Maybe one day i'll look down in the muck and start filming more macro critters!

  11. I'm getting deeper into this Brightcove thing. It has some shortcomings at the moment but it's looking like a promising way to deliver web video. If you check out my Bunaken and Manado page now you can see that I've built a multiple player. I can add future videos to the list as I make them.

     

    All the videos are encoded by me in On2 Flix Pro (and not re-encoded by them), uploaded with the Brightcove Publishpod, and the player is built and customised online in the Brightcove console. The material also appears automatically on my own channel at Brightcove. It's all free but I think I've agreed to a little advertising in the future :lol:

     

    The layout of the page is a work in progress (e.g. there are big gaps where images should be). One big downside is that the search engines can't find any of the text etc. in the Flash player.

     

    Anyway that "Bunaken HD" video is new and that's now the lot from that trip before the camera died. Comments on the video and in particular the player functionality are welcome. Sorry Dean, still no voiceover.

  12. Nick, just had a chance to look at your videos. great stuff! I liked the titles.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.