I just paid $300 for Aperture and this program looks USELESS to me. I'll admit I haven't put much time into it yet, but I don't even know if I can start. I bought it because I read numerous recomendations for its RAW workflow.
MAJOR PROBLEM: Aperture requires you to reorgainze your entire image collection! This is ludicrous! I have thousands of photos (almost 50GB) of a wide variety of subjects already organized on my hard drive. Firstly it tries to have you copy all your photos into its own library file that only aperture can read.
right.....
So you can use "referenced" files and keep them in their original location - but you still have to "import" them, (which seems to take forever considering its not supposed to be copying the files) and reorganize them in aperture's "projects" and "albums". I don't have time for that. This is ridiculous. I also don't shoot many "projects" but primarily stock photos and organize by subject matter.
Am I missing something? Why can't it just open, store and work with everything where you already have it like photoshop? This seems like a ploy by apple to make you dependant on aperture - what happens if I want to switch image editing programs in the future??? Unbelievable.
Any advice?? Was this just a waste of money? Should I just buy PS CS3 and stop whining? (you may laugh, but I've always worked with Photoshop Elements and finally decided to upgrade)
Cheers,
Chris