Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Small green-eyed fish

Started by solenostomus ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Small green-eyed fish

4 posts
  1. post-5871-1180471070_thumb.jpg post-5871-1180471104_thumb.jpg

    I found this fish on an evening dive at Lembeh Resort house reef. It was about 3-4 inches long and in a depth of 5-6m.

     

    Can anyone help me out with this one? I can't even pinpoint a family, let alone the species.

    I must admit that it doesn't help that I only photographed its head - I was probably too drawn to its green eyes.

  2. Closest that I can find is Barchin scorpionfish. Sebastapistes strongia. Bars on the chin and size seem to match, but just a guess.

    Cheers,

    Marli

  3. Closest that I can find is Barchin scorpionfish. Sebastapistes strongia. Bars on the chin and size seem to match, but just a guess.

    Cheers,

    Marli

     

    Thanks Marli, you might be on to something there. Sebastapistes strongia is a good guess. Just looking at pictures on the web (in work right now), it's hard to confirm - Most pictures are by JE Randall and he kills his fish before taking a picture.

     

    I have seen and photographed a relative, the Yellow-spotted Scorpionfish (Sebastapistes cyanostigma), many times and didn't realise that 'my' fish could be the same genus - the cyanostigma always lives within the branches of hard corals, whereas this thing just sat on the sand - not at all hidden (apart from the camo).

     

    Cheers

  4. Very hard to tell without a full body shot, but I also think it is in the genus Sebastapistes.

     

    it's hard to confirm - Most pictures are by JE Randall and he kills his fish before taking a picture.

     

    That's the way you are supposed to do it if you want to be 100% sure of the ID :)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.