Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Long time diver and photographer...now looking to combine the two!

Started by Sarah13 ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Long time diver and photographer...now looking to combine the two!

5 posts
  1. Hey there. I have been diving for about 15 years and have been shooting photos for my whole life (professionally for about 4 years since graduate school). I have a liveabard trip planned this summer and thought it might be fun to finally combine the two. I have a Canon 30D and a PowerShot SD800 (and a 8 x 10 Deerdorf, but I don't think they make housing for that :) ) Although I would love to get a housing and strobe for my 30D, I think I may start out playing with my PowerShot as I am not quite ready to invest all that money.

     

    My question is I have found two casing for the PowerShot SD800 one made by Canon and the other by Ikelite. I am leaning towards the Ikelite after reading some reviews of their products on this forum. What would you all recommend?

     

    Also, I realize that my P&S limits my aperture and sutterspeed manipulation capabilities, but I can do some tweaking on my PowerShot. Problem is, I would have to set it pre-dive and hope that is works, as I would not be able to change it once in the case. So what might be a good pre-set. Should I push the ISO? Set it to 2 stops over exposed before heading down? The SD800 allows for a minimal manual mode so I want to use it the best I can. Any suggestions?

  2. "Problem is, I would have to set it pre-dive and hope that is works, as I would not be able to change it once in the case"

     

    I think both the Canon and the Ikelite Case would give you full control over the camera while underwater. On the settings, I'll leave that to the professionals on here. However if I have one recommendation it would be to at least make an investment in an external strobe. Since you have a 30D and will likely graduate from your P&S later on, I'd recommend you invest in a nice strobe such as an Ikelite, Sea&Sea or Inon to go with it.

  3. "Problem is, I would have to set it pre-dive and hope that is works, as I would not be able to change it once in the case"

     

    I think both the Canon and the Ikelite Case would give you full control over the camera while underwater. On the settings, I'll leave that to the professionals on here. However if I have one recommendation it would be to at least make an investment in an external strobe. Since you have a 30D and will likely graduate from your P&S later on, I'd recommend you invest in a nice strobe such as an Ikelite, Sea&Sea or Inon to go with it.

     

    Thanks for your advice, I will look into that. I know lighting is always key...just have to consult my check book :lol: Any other suggestions from experts?

  4. Hi Sarah,

     

    I have the SD700 IS and I've used it on 5 dives now. It's a frustrating little camera because it makes all of the photography decisions for you. That doesn't usually pan out well underwater :-(

     

    I set mine to expose the background for -2 stops to account for the fact that I want blue water, not light blue sky. I've used it w/ the internal flash mostly, but it will work just fine w/ an external flash.

     

    Because of the type of camera/lens/housing, you can't use external lenses with the Canon WPDC housing :-( This kind of limits you to shooting photos of things that are "smaller than a loaf of bread" Seriously.

     

    Anyhow, that's my input. You can see some of the underwater pix from the SD700 here:

     

    http://www.reefpix.smugmug.com/gallery/2868228#153912962

     

    153913368-M.jpg

     

    Cheers

    James

  5. Having owned both Ikelite and Canon housings I can easily say they are both good housings. If used and taken care of both will serve you well. Using a PowerShot, S400 and now SD 700 IS, for me it is about size so I chose the Canon housing. Easy to travel with and use UW. You can add a AD mount from Inon to your SD 800 in a Canon housing and then use wet lenses. As far as strobes go don't skimp. PowerShots and P&S cameras in general certainly benefit from having an external strobe. If you are thinking about housing your/a DSLR one day then keep that in mind if you buy a strobe for your SD 800. You want the strobe to grow with you.

     

    I personally like Canon PowerShots and SD's in particular. Once you figure out the good and bad you can get good images from them. Above all they are a blessing to travel with and aren't a huge investment if you don't dive but one or two trips a year. Having said that if you go the road of adding wet lenses and a strobe to your SD 800 be warned that the $$$ add up quickly. The bits and pieces to put it all together will shock you in the end.

     

    YMMV and certainly only my .2 psi

     

    Jeff

     

    James, your SD 700 IS shots are better than your giving yourself credit for. :lol: Great little camera good underwater!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.