Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Whats stuck on this Urchin?

Started by Islandbound ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Whats stuck on this Urchin?

8 posts
  1. As I watched this little growth, attachment or maybe attacker for awhile I noticed that the "ball" would seem to deflate every so often. What is it?

     

    2030452250100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

  2. That's the madreporite. Echinoderms have an internal hydraulic system which extends from the madreporite (water intake) through the body and into the tube feet. The inflation & deflation you noticed is the process of sucking in water. It's only this noticeable on some species.

  3. Wow, thanks! Where we go into the water here there are literally thousands of urchins underfoot and this is the first one I have seen against the seawall which has the two color spines. Is the madreporite always extended like that or is it a temporary extrusion to refill the internal system with water?

  4. They expand & contract and aren't always out. Lucky you to have seen it - nearly everything I see is preserved and colorless..... :)

  5. They expand & contract and aren't always out. Lucky you to have seen it - nearly everything I see is preserved and colorless..... :angry:

    We really have to get you out on a trip, Leslie. :rolleyes:

  6. We really have to get you out on a trip, Leslie. :angry:

     

    Here's to that! :rolleyes:

  7. Leslie,

     

    My wife and I went out for an evening swim last night and she found this urchin for you!

     

    2952035860100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

     

    2281017430100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

  8. thanks! Now if you can find a couple of nice worms (that aren't fireworms or dusters) that would really make my day! :rolleyes:

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.