Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

ID needed

Started by DivinDiva ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

ID needed

5 posts
  1. Can anyone ID this for me? It was taken in the Bahamas on a night dive. I wasn't even sure if it was coral or a type of starfish???? Anyone know?

     

    Sandy

     

    flower.jpg

  2. I believe it's a corallimorph, kinda looks like an anemone with real short arms. I may be wrong, seems to happen more than I'd like :P

  3. I think it is a hard coral called Mussa. Here's a pic I took of one at the Flowergardens:

     

    DSCF3925.jpg

     

    HTH

    James

  4. Can anyone ID this for me? It was taken in the Bahamas on a night dive. I wasn't even sure if it was coral or a type of starfish???? Anyone know?

     

    Sandy

     

    flower.jpg

    Ok guys - here is a most likely id:

     

    This is an Elegant Anemone (actinoporus elegans) or similar as Elegant's don't have a huge known range.

     

    I thought initially it was a Cactus Coral of some kind, but since it has an oral disc (i.e. a mouth) in the middle, it is very definelty an anemone. It isn't a collimorph as the tenticales don't "radiate from the oral disk to form cocentric circles" which is the @ 1 identifier.

     

    Very nice find.

     

    M

  5. The mussids are a single polyped large stony coral - so they have one or a couple of mouthes.

     

    I originally though it might be a cactus coral too, but it isn't.

     

    Mussids are pretty rare and come in a variety of colors. I have seen green and pink - but never a combo of green and pink.

     

    Cheers

    James

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.