Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Sharkbeat

Started by SimonSpear ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Sharkbeat

9 posts
  1. Hi all

     

    Well I was lucky enough to win the Under the Blue 2007 video contest with this short film.

     

    The rules were a film of a maximum of 60 seconds long and the guidelines stated 'Judging criteria will focus mostly on video subject matter, content, and production, with video quality secondary'.

     

    It was shot on my trusty old PC350 in an Ikelite housing - so nothing high tech or top end there! :rolleyes: and edited using Premier.

     

    It's got it's faults (which I'm more than aware of already), but any comments would of course be appreciated.

     

    Cheers, Simon

     

    Sharkbeat mp4

  2. Simon,

     

    That is fantastic!! Truly fantastic. A great creative approach, footage that was compelling and helped tell the story, and a critically important story at that. All in 60 seconds. Great work, Simon. May I suggest YouTube, Google Video and all other large audience video websites? And it would, of course, be an honor to have it up on DiveFilm if you are OK with that. This little video needs to be seen as widely as possible!

     

    Mary Lynn

  3. Nice one Simon and congrats.

    Simple but effective.

     

    Hey is that my Whale Shark shot you used :rolleyes:

     

    Enjoy your trip.

  4. The rules were a film of a maximum of 60 seconds long and the guidelines stated 'Judging criteria will focus mostly on video subject matter, content, and production, with video quality secondary'.

     

    It was shot on my trusty old PC350 in an Ikelite housing - so nothing high tech or top end there! and edited using Premier.

     

     

    Just goes to show that not all judges/ people think the same me old mate..Ain't that a relief :angry:

     

    And you don't always need the best gear...

     

    Congrats again :rolleyes:

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  5. Simon,

    Keep it coming my man and good stuff! We need more of this message out there. Post on YouTube for sure.

    One comment, I didn't see a call to action. What do you want you viewer to do after they have watched your film? I would recommend adding this if possible.

    Shawn

  6. Thanks for the nice words everyone, I'm glad you all enjoyed it and of course it will be coming to YouTube etc etc very soon :rolleyes:

     

    Shawn - I understand what you're saying as I put quite a bit of thought into that subject by the time I'd finished editing the film. Trouble is it's not endorsed by any organisation, and to be honest I didn't really want it to be a 60 second commercial for anyone other than the Sharks themselves. As much as I respect nearly all of the shark awareness and conservation groups out there - there are very few that would give a free reign to say what you want without refering to them for approval if you are using their 'badge'. I didn't want to get tied down by that. I was hoping that the film by itself would make people want to find out more on their own. (?) Really appreciate the input.

     

    Cheers, Simon

    Edited by SimonSpear
  7. Good points Simon. I was thinking more along the lines of: "Say no to shark fin soup" (for asians), ?"support global protection measures for sharks", "is your tuna shark safe", etc.

     

    That being said, it is a 60second short and unto itself it accomplishes a lot. I hope my input is taken as just some ideas.

    shawn

  8. I really do appreciate the ideas :rolleyes:

     

    Hopefully I'll be able to do a longer version once I get FCS2 under my belt :angry:

     

    Cheers, Simon

  9. Simon,

    Congratulations on your winning the competition. This really was of brilliant conception. Just great

    Steve

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.