Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

ikelite 640 problem

Started by Mr. L. ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

ikelite 640 problem

2 posts
  1. Greetings,

     

    I just received today, from BH, a "new" ikelite housing that doesn't appear new, and has a shutter release problem...or at least what seems to be a problem.

     

    First of all, how does ikelite normally pack their cases? Mine came loose in a white box with no ikelite logo, and no wrapping at all around the case. THe case is slightly scuffed and appears ok, but I'm disgruntled at having spent the bucks and having received no bubble-wrap. Also, the serial number on the housing was poorly stamped, with numbers over numbers. Seems odd for a company with such a good reputation.

     

    The second, and perhaps more important issue, is the fact that when the shutter is depressed, the entire camera moves, albeit slightly, but it moves, and at just the time you'd probably prefer it remain stationary. Upon closer inspection it appears that the end of the return spring, not the rubber boot, makes contact at the outer edge of the shutter button; the rubber boot never makes contact. THe force it is exerting must be substantial to move the camera as if I remove the back with the camera attached, I have to push rather hard on the button to move the camera as far. (Yes, the camera is firmly attached to the mounting plate.)

     

    Also today came two Canon housings, one for my wife's SD 800, and one for a friends A710IS. Both were very well packed, and cause no movement of the camera when the shutter is depressed. I opted to spend over twice as much for my housing and, at least so far, am regretting it. I'll also call ikelite and BH tomorrow.

     

    Any comments on this would be appreciated. We're all leaving for USVI on July 8th, and I'd very much like to have an operating system by then!

     

    Leon

  2. I recently recieved repaired stuff from ikelite, in an ikelite marked box, items individually covered in bubblewrap, and the box filled with missing matter. I dont even think my 20D housing has a serial number.

     

    I think you should double check with the seller that they gave you the correct housing. With these housings there are sublte differences, because the camera's themselves vary a bit from model to model.

     

    I cant explain the movement issue, but i think it is related to the button placement. I suppose the camera is secured by a tripod socket?

     

    Gerard

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.