Recently I’ve been finding a few of these weird little hairy shrimps. I first seen them in Irian Jaya, then recently a few times in Komodo, I am sure they are not rare just small and very cryptic. More often than not when I’ve tried to point them out to photographers they are too small and most don’t even get to see them never mind shoot them. I recently had plenty of time on a check out trip and managed to get this image with my little Sony point and shoot, though it wasn’t quite a easy as point and shoot, it took me quite a lot of pointing and shooting before I got one in focus and that was sort of good enough!
I am wondering if anyone out there knows more about these?
Is it a known species? I’ve search and can’t find anything in any of my ID books.
Does anyone else have any images?
I would also love to see more images of this. There's one species which has the same "broken back" and hairyness. It's Phycocaris simulans (I think - one shrimp expert identified Brian Francisco's picture for me but another expressed reservations about the id) . Would you mind sending me a high res file I can pass on to my shrimp guru, Sammy DeGrave?
Thanks Leslie, these look similar, though the specimens I've been seeing over here seem to have this dark coloured hair and lots of it too! I really don't have any images much larger or higher res than the one posted. For sure I will try and get a photographer with a real camera to get some better images of this as soon as I can!
It certainly could be something different.
One more website with more images, these are from Bali: