Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Story Boarding

Started by John Dory ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Story Boarding

2 posts
  1. HI

    I am very new to videoing -- having produced the grand total of 3 films following 3 livaboards! My problem is story boarding the above water shots -- the ones I have filmed are usually the dive guide briefing, divers kitting up -- there are only so many times I can film someone testing his air! Has anyone got any good ideas how I can vary the scene setting?

     

    Many thanks

     

    John Dory

  2. Hello John,

     

    I personally have shot only a few times on livaboards, but IMHO here's a good chance to play with the audio a bit. A voiceover intercut with a dive briefing could be a nice idea.

    Keep the gearing up sections short - as you have found out, this becomes repetitive. There are only so many ways to shoot that, so reserve each one for a separate day.

    Checking the air is only one aspect of gearing up - make short shots of people getting into their equipment/suits and vary the angles (up,down). Use fast paced music and make it look like an action movie. Or put the shots in slo-mo in post - that produces a nice action effect as well.

     

    Show some non-diving activities to break up the pace.

    Keep it short in general ... who wants to sit through 2 hrs of video?

     

    be creative

     

    Sven

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.