Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Prawn Goby with shrimp

Started by Sven ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Prawn Goby with shrimp

11 posts
  1. http://www.flickr.com/photos/svenalgerie/538437452/

     

    @Sipadan, 15m deep.

     

    I'm not to sure about the Goby ID and don't know the shrimp (Alpheus djeddensis or djiboutensis Commensal shrimp ?).

     

    Thanks for looking.

    Edited by Sven
  2. The eyes don't look quite right with those bars, compared to my reference, for Steinitz', but everything else matches. It also mentions it should have tiny yellow spots on the dorsal fins, while yours has lines. The only other one that looks close is the Fantail shimp goby, but we can't see the tail in yours. The eyes have the dark bars, and the dorsal have yellow and blue lines.

    Sorry, without the tail: ????

    Cheers,

    Marli

     

    The shrimp appears to match Alpheus randalli, which is pictured in Debelius' Crustacea of the world with a Fan tail shrimp goby.

    Cheers,

    Marli

  3. Thanks a lot Marli,

     

    I agree for the shrimp ;) , but Flabelligobius latruncularia or the Fan Shrimp Goby, although known to live with Randall's shrimp, does seam to have a large first dorsal and also the pattern on the sides looks different, so I'm not sure about this, for the moment Steinitz' Goby remains my favorite.

     

    Sven.

     

    Flabelligobius latruncularia or the Fan Shrimp Goby on Fishbase:

    http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=25463

     

    Steiniz' Prawn Goby on Fishbase:

    http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=7195

     

    Another picture of this Goby where you see part of the tail:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/svenalgerie/538555511/

    Edited by Sven
  4. I'm going to throw Flagtail Shrimpgoby Amblyeleotris yanoi out there ;), even though the eyes are slightly off.

     

    It looks just like this one.

  5. I'm with Matt. There are pictures of A. yanoi on several japanese websites and Sven's matches very well.

  6. ;) Mystery solved.

     

    Matt - great picture, your Goby hired two shrimps , must be a 'Royal' Flagtail Shrimpgoby.

     

    The pattern on the fins is really almost identical with my picture!

     

    (I hope I will be able to have some better shots when I will have the port for my macro lens.)

     

    Thank you all!

  7. I thought that's what I suggested?

    The only other one that looks close is the Fantail shimp goby, but we can't see the tail in yours. The eyes have the dark bars, and the dorsal have yellow and blue lines.

    This is why I should always use the latin name as much as it annoys some people. Amblyeleotris yanoi is the species that I was referring to all along.

    Glad it was solved so quickly,

    Marli

    Edited by scubamarli
  8. I thought that's what I suggested?

    This is why I should always use the latin name as much as it annoys some people. Amblyeleotris yanoi is the species that I was referring to all along.

    Glad it was solved so quickly,

    Marli

     

    Sorry about the confusion, Marli! This is a good example of why common names are so frustrating. One species may have multiple common names in different countries or regionally in one country. The opposite situation where one common name is used for multiple species is equally annoying. If I remember right the term "red snapper" is used for over 25 species of fish in different families.

  9. Marli,

     

    As I could not find anything about the Fantail Shrimp goby you mentioned I tought you ware refering to the Fan Shrimp Goby and not the Flagtail Shrimp Goby.

     

    Although I can't remember them I like the latin names because when I 'Google' them you find them precisely and I learn a lot about the critters I saw.

     

    Thanks to you all for the help.

  10. it would be interesting to contrast colour patterns of Alpheus randalli (from different localities)

    there is some morphological variation suggesting cryptic species complex

    A. randalli is one of the most photographed goby shrimps yet only 5 or so specimens were collected and deposited in museums

    A

     

     

    Marli,

     

    As I could not find anything about the Fantail Shrimp goby you mentioned I tought you ware refering to the Fan Shrimp Goby and not the Flagtail Shrimp Goby.

     

    Although I can't remember them I like the latin names because when I 'Google' them you find them precisely and I learn a lot about the critters I saw.

     

    Thanks to you all for the help.

  11. Really? Only 5? That's terrible! Good thing you're now certified and can correct this situation.

    Edited by Leslie

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.