Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

O ring grease

Started by HelenJane ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

O ring grease

5 posts
  1. Hi all

     

    I have a nexus housing which came with Anthis grease originally. I've virtually finished the tube now and wondering if I really need to get a replacement shipped over from Japan. Surely I should be able to buy a big tub of non branded grease to use?

     

    I am checking because my strobes are Inon with sea and sea attachments. I know sea and sea blue o rings have to only be coated with sea and sea grease otherwise they deteriorate.....

     

    So anyone have any useful tips for standard black o rings?

     

    Thanks

     

    Helen

  2. Hi all

     

    I have a nexus housing which came with Anthis grease originally. I've virtually finished the tube now and wondering if I really need to get a replacement shipped over from Japan. Surely I should be able to buy a big tub of non branded grease to use?

     

    I am checking because my strobes are Inon with sea and sea attachments. I know sea and sea blue o rings have to only be coated with sea and sea grease otherwise they deteriorate.....

     

    So anyone have any useful tips for standard black o rings?

     

    Thanks

     

    Helen

     

    Go to your LDS an buy a tube of silicone grease!

  3. Can the Sea & Sea blue tube grease be used on black o rings also?

  4. John is usually correct ( Hi John :( - and he is here...

     

    Your local LDS will have some silicone based grease or -

     

    Head down to your local bearing and seal supply outfit - they will carry lube suitable for all seals, the O rings that are in all of this dive gear are seldom unusual in any way.

     

    Hint - they also carry spare O rings at a fraction of the price that you need to pay through the dealer network.

     

    Standard black Buna N O rings are darn hard to kill.

     

    Paul C

  5. Nexus housings use buna (neoprene) o-rings which require just a good quality silicone grease. Check your local Home Depot or hardware store. Change all your o-rings to the black ones then they all use the same silicone grease, thus making life a little easier. A S&S service will have buna replacement o-rings (at least the one in Calif does). All the photo stuff out of Japan uses metric/Japanese spec o-rings. If you change rings make sure you get the metric spec sizes. US sizes may look close but don't chance it.

    Edited by jcclink
Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.