Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Photoshop 'dust and scratches' tip

Started by Sven ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Photoshop 'dust and scratches' tip

2 posts
  1. When you have a picture with lots of sand in the water or other white particles Photoshop "Dust and scratches" filter does a fast cleaning up compared to the manual treat.

    However overall sharpness is severely influenced.

     

    I tried the following:

     

    copy the layer and set blending mode to 'darken'

    apply the filter to the background layer

     

    It is fast, speckles are out and sharpness is far better.

    Edited by Sven
  2. Hi Sven,

     

    I think the way you explained your technique still causes an image to look blurry. Do you have an example? I think you might get better results experimenting with the History Brush. Also, have you tried using the Median filter instead; I feel it does a better job than dust and scratches for lots of underwater images you want to correct quickly.

     

     

    Doug

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.