Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Tiny Fish from Alor/Indonesia

Started by Bargibanti ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Tiny Fish from Alor/Indonesia

10 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    found this cutie ( around 5 mm) in Alor/Indonesia and can`t find anything similar in ID books.

    he was sitting perfectly still on a sponge when i took this shot and watched him for a while.

    any idea?

     

    beo

    post-8657-1181670870_thumb.jpg

  2. It looks like a clingfish, I will take a look in my books when I get to my office... Nice shot by the way.

     

    Luiz

  3. I think it is a clingfish too. Can't help with the species, but I like it!

     

    Alex

  4. What are the clues that it is a clingfish instead of something like a goby?

  5. I would say clingfish from the shape of the head, the relative size and position of the eyes, and also the posture of the body.

    ;)

    Leander

  6. Ok, it is a Clingfish for sure. There is a photo of a very similar fish in Reef Fish Identification: Tropical Pacific on page 389, under the name of Red Clingfish (same markings along the back, just more red). They say it is an undescribed species probably in the genus Lepadichthys. If yours is not the same, it is probably another undescribed species...

     

    Luiz

    Edited by Rocha
  7. I've just checked in the Fish Atlas I've got here... It looks more like it would be in the species of Discotrema, which is the same species that lives in crinoids we see a lot over here. The Lepadichthys have a more pointed face.

     

    I've seen these before in Komodo area and have never been able to ID them either!

     

    What are the clues that it is a clingfish instead of something like a goby?

     

    From what I've noticed these clingfishes do actually have some way of clinging. Take a close look at the photo you can just see this...

  8. Thanks guys,

     

    a clingfish, that was my first idea too because he has a shape like the crinoid clingfish - the only clingfish i have seen before alive.

    The second idea was a juvenile dragonet, but these fishes are normaly always in (slow)motion.

     

    If someone needs the shot in higher resolution for scientistic studies, database, publication, bedroom picture or

    whatever, send me an email ( moupie$t-online.de).

     

    Like your webpage Luiz!

     

    Beo

     

    Here is another rare beauty from Alor which was easy to identificate!

    post-8657-1181721165_thumb.jpg

  9. Thanks guys,

     

    a clingfish, that was my first idea too because he has a shape like the crinoid clingfish - the only clingfish i have seen before alive.

    The second idea was a juvenile dragonet, but these fishes are normaly always in (slow)motion.

     

    If someone needs the shot in higher resolution for scientistic studies, database, publication, bedroom picture or

    whatever, send me an email ( moupie$t-online.de).

     

    Like your webpage Luiz!

     

    Beo

     

    Here is another rare beauty from Alor which was easy to identificate!

     

     

    What about the Mola Mola?? Didn't you get a picture of it?? ;)

  10. Mi, ma, mola, - mola mola mo. --- Mi, ma mola, - mola mola mo!

    post-8657-1181744412_thumb.jpg

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.