Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Lighting for Video issues - White Halogen bulbs?

Started by donga ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Lighting for Video issues - White Halogen bulbs?

2 posts
  1. I'm new to lighting and have a very basic understanding of what I need. Wondering if I can get some help.

     

    I will first tell you what I think I know and what I want to do.

     

    I have double bubble arm setup with one long and one short. I want to attach a Saekodive torch to the long arm so I can detach it for overhangs or caves and also for videoing at depth. The short arm I have not decided on what to do with that yet. I have no problems in attaching a torch - can do that.

     

    What I have realised is that it is "white" light I need and not the standard "yellow" light. Also I need a diffuser I think - one of those detachable ones, kinda like a white lense cap. I see that the bulbs are the replaceable kind - can I get a white light bulb rather than the standard yellow hallogen light in it already. I have seen white lights in other torches of about $600 range but I am definately not going to buy a light for that much.

     

    Can I just change the yellow globe for a white light globe, and then stick a diffuser cap over it and there is my video light? I cannot justify spending hundreds of dollars just for a light when you should be able to knock up a cheap alternative that will do the trick.

     

    That will do for starters.

     

    Tink

  2. Ok, so I actually worked out a few things myself. ;)

     

    The dive store guy let me borrow the torch/light and play with it. Took the bulb out of the torch/light and went down to a local lighting store. They had a heap of 12 volt bulbs (down lights), and one in particular called White Pearl.

     

    This little bulb fitted straight into the torch/light and put out a real nice glow. No beam just a white glow in a very large area. I have the old globes in the box from which the torch/light came out of and they are all sorts of weird colors and stuff but none put out white light like these little beauties I bought.

     

    Thanks alot, the support was overwhelming <_<

    Edited by danytink

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.