Skip to content

Conservation and the Environment / Archived topic

Just like a petting zoo? Shark Tournaments in the US!?!

Started by drsteve ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Just like a petting zoo? Shark Tournaments in the US!?!

3 posts
  1. I had no idea that there were still big money shark fishing tournaments held in the US. There is a NY times article at Shark Fishing Tournament.

     

    Here are a couple of choice quotes

     

    The crowds at Star Island cheer as each huge beast is hung by its tail and weighed. After a carcass is dumped on the dock, children poke at it, exclaim over its rows of fearsome teeth, and pose for family pictures as the animal is gutted, decapitated and sliced into steaks.

     

    “It’s like a petting zoo,†said Richard Janis, Star Island’s general manager. “When else can a kid get close enough to a shark to touch it?â€

     

    Yeah, right. It is just like a petting zoo.

  2. oh my god this cant be real!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

  3. What was worse is that I could have swore it was ESPN that was showing one of these evil tournaments... pretty sure I wrote them a letter of protest after seeing that. I don't think I've seen them air another tournament since... anyone else know if they still are?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.