Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Is this a starfish?

Started by Islandbound ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Is this a starfish?

5 posts
  1. Probably a dumb question but is this a starfish thats regenerating its whole body?

     

    2418142850100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

  2. Yep. Nice colours on that arm.

     

    Alex

  3. As long as there's a portion of the central disk still attached some species can regenerate from a single leg. Pieces like - known as comets - are so common it seems to be a deliberate shedding of the leg for asexual reproduction rather than being the left-overs from a predator's meal.

  4. Pieces like - known as comets - are so common it seems to be a deliberate shedding of the leg for asexual reproduction rather than being the left-overs from a predator's meal.

     

    I had a starfish in an aquarium which did this quite regularly. I used to explain to people it was making friends for itself B)

  5. When I first saw it lying on the bottom I thought it was a gecko arm ... It is really small.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.