Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Nikon service sucks :(

Started by aczyzyk ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon service sucks :(

10 posts
  1. I flooded my D70 and bought D80 to replace it. I liked D80 a lot for about 3 hours. Then suddenly most buttons on camera body stopped working. That is a bit disappointing on your first day with a new expensive camera, but I understand it may sometimes happen with electronics.

     

    What makes me angry is that the camera is at Nikon service for over a month now and they did not even look at it yet. They tell me that it will be ready when they are done with it and they don't know when that might be...

     

    Do you know an e-mail at Nikon where I could complain (Europe)?

  2. Nikon's customer service is famous world-wide - alas!

  3. HI,

    I will add don't expect any response, I have been waiting over two months

    now over a problem I had.

    Andy

  4. Surely this is a job for the dealer - as the camera was new.

    Every dealer I know would immediately replace the camera under warrenty - giving you a new camera and then they would take up the issue over the dead on arrival camera with Nikon - while you are off happily using the camera.

     

    Alex

     

    I am sure you can find a contact address here:

    http://www.europe-nikon.com/

  5. I would give Nikon a call (their number is on the site Alex linked above).

     

    I have never had any problems with Nikon USA; in fact, about a couple of months ago my 18 months old 17-55 started acting up and not focusing on anything in infinity. I sent it to Nikon and they sent me a replacement (spanking new) within a week.

    Edited by Rocha
  6. It was bought in Holland and since I drive near Nikon service everyday on my way to work it seemed easier to fix it directly at Nikon. Now I got sick so I need to rely on phones and e-mails to give them hard time.

     

    I would give them a call but they don't answer their phone too often. Neither they reply to e-mails. It would not make sense to complain to them about them. I need to find some contact at European headquarters. Where are their european headquarters?

     

    As true for many products USA has better service and lower prices at the same time. Don't get me started about taxes.

  7. It also makes a big difference if you are a NPS member (as Luiz would be as a D2X owner). I had a JPG problem on my D2X earlier in the year and Nikon said that they would look at it while I waited. Anyway, I have not bothered to take it in yet.

     

    Unfortunately the D70 and D80 don't come with NPS membership.

     

    Alex

  8. "Surely this is a job for the dealer - as the camera was new. Every dealer I know would immediately replace the camera under warrenty - giving you a new camera and then they would take up the issue over the dead on arrival camera with Nikon - while you are off happily using the camera. "

     

    I too know dealers like this BUT not all dealers are and, certainly in the UK, the contract that the buyer has is with the dealer not the distributor. Consumer law is designed to be 'reasonable' and allows the dealer to try to rectify a problem by either repair, replacement, or money back, but enforcing this can be tricky as the consumer has to allow the dealer a reasonable time to fix the problem! There is an awful lot to be said for finding a helpful dealer who doesn't quibble and replaces equipment or loans whilst a problem is fixed. My own local dealer is extremely helpful and has often loaned me gear at no charge just for me to try it out. Costs are slightly up on Internet bargains but I'm more than happy to pay for the service I get.

     

    Although I had an NPS card, I very rarely used it (damaged equipment rather than broken down in fact), but Nikon were pretty good when I did need their services, but as Alex says this only applies to 'pro' type equipment (Canon are the same).

  9. My own local dealer is extremely helpful and has often loaned me gear at no charge just for me to try it out. Costs are slightly up on Internet bargains but I'm more than happy to pay for the service I get.

     

    Although we're dragging the discussion a bit off topic, I think Paul raises a v important point - regarding building a relationship with your local dealers. You will always save a few $£€ by shopping around (particularly online), but supporting a local dealer means that you have a 'friend' when things go wrong. I agree that spending a few more $£€ to build a good relationship with a good dealer is a sound approach.

     

    All camera shops know about the internet - and will generally do their best to match prices. They also get hacked off with people coming in and getting hands on in their shop, only to buy online. With customers who they know own a lot of kit, but most wasn't brought from them, they are likely to play it by the book.

     

    Alex

  10. Agree with Alex. Not only do I get good service from my dealer I also get a good deal from them. Seldom pay full price and usually not a lot more than internet prices. I give them almost all my business.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.