- 6Posts
- 6Replies
Read-only discussion
Worm or Seacucumber? (from Bali)
-
-
Beo -- you just made my day, thanks!
It's a very lovely polychaete worm in the family Syllidae, subfamily Autolytinae. 
Any more pictures of it? Color patterns are often species specific in this group so I'll take a run through my literature and see if anything described for the region matches. Also from Alor, right? -
Nope, nothing that matches. I'd bet real money it's unknown and undescribed.
-
Never seen that one before. Very cool. I'd have gone for seacucumber, but I defer to Leslie.
Hope you have some more pictures. That is really nice.
Alex
-
So sorry, no more pictures.
Worms of this size are not very popular in the " fun-dive-take-beautiful-pictures-world", so unfortunately i did not spend more time with this lovely couple, but wasted a lot with searching the famous ladybugs, finding them
only at night dancing like ecstasy-techno-kids around my torch--Arrrgh!
The shot was taken in the tulamben area - bali.
I will inform my undercover agents to have an eye more open, they have already some alcohol for preserving in case they find Thecacera Sp.6.
here is another shot from the same diveside, also a worm?
beo
-
So sorry, no more pictures.
Worms of this size are not very popular in the " fun-dive-take-beautiful-pictures-world",
here is another shot from the same diveside, also a worm?
beo
Did you jut say that worms AREN'T beautiful!!!! That they AREN"T the most wonderfu picture subject in the whole ocean?!!!! You just broke my worm-loving heart..... (darn, where is that crying smiley when you need one.....)

The second one is totally not a worm. I've read that it's the reproduction section of a sponge called Oceanapia sagittaria that normally lives buried in the sand.