Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Frogfish species

Started by Graham Abbott ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Frogfish species

7 posts
  1. post-5023-1181998818_thumb.jpgpost-5023-1181998959_thumb.jpgI have been seeing a few of these frogfish now so it's obviosuly not just a one off with strange white line down its face. Has anyone else seen or photographed these? Do you know species it is?
  2. Interesting, Graham.

     

    It is quite common for Juvenile groupers and soapfish to have a white line like this. Maybe it is a juvenile marking? Just a guess.

     

    Alex

  3. Alex, I know there are some groupers and it could very well be that they are juveniles, though both of these were between 3-5cm, not all that small really for froggies?

  4. Fascinating. Hope you figure this out. I'd really like to know what this signifies. I've seen many small frogfish (presumably juveniles), but never noticed anything like this.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Tony

  5. These guys are really hard (if not impossible) to tell apart without looking at the specimen. Their colors vary a lot and there are quite a bit of new species...

  6. I originally thought it was A. randalli though when I saw others with this white line down the face I thought again. If anyone finds out anything about these plase send me me a PM.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.