Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Bizarre anemone on stalk

Started by Graham Abbott ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Bizarre anemone on stalk

4 posts
  1. post-5023-1181999163_thumb.jpgCan anyone help me with an ID for very bizarre anemone. I had seen these before but never with tentacles out like this. Now I see it has to eb some form of anemone?
  2. TAke another look in Colin & Arenson. It appears to be the snake polyp Isaurus tuberculatus or something similar - there are now 3 recognized species in the genus.

  3. Is there any website with things I can check out. I have seen a few of them previously. This is the amazing thing about diving, on every dive you find something new that you want to ID, then there is Wormgirl there for us to help with the final ID.

     

    BIG THANKS!

  4. :D Thanks yourself. Since I'm stuck here most of the time & don't dive to boot I rarely get to see all these wonderful critters alive.

     

    I listed 3 sites on the "wormy thing" thread. Two others that are very good are http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/reefs/ and http://www.edge-of-reef.com/

     

    The first is a picture guide to marine biodiversity of Guam and the Marianas done by museum & university taxonomists. It's the most reliable of all when it comes to names. Edge of Reef is done by an italian group of marine biologists working out of Manado. It's a little heavy on fish for my taste but the ids are overall very good.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.