Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Suggestions for lighting setup - d200/aquatica

Started by webhead ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Suggestions for lighting setup - d200/aquatica

5 posts
  1. HI, I'm new to DSLRs, but through reading on this forum and elsewhere, I've decided on (but not purchased yet) a D200 and an Aquatica housing to start, but I would really appreciate some suggestions/advice on lighting setup for this. I'm coming from Nikonos 5 world, and there I used dual Nikonos SB-105s, but I want to upgrade...

    The applications would be wide angle and macro (thinking 12-24 and 60), in tropical locations maybe couple times a year (portability a factor, but not a huge one). Looking for overall versatility, ruggedness etc. etc.

    What should I get (cable/arms/flashes) to get fullest functionality and lighting versatility out of the above camera/housing?

    Thanks very much for any input...

    :D

  2. Hi,

     

    Good topic! You have two general choices:

     

    1) Get 2 big wide warm strobes for wideangle shooting and 2 small narrow-beam strobes for macro

     

    2) Get 2 moderate sized strobes and try to do both

     

    I do #1 using Ike DS200's and Ike DS51 (I used to use Inon strobes for macro before they got stolen).

     

    My wife does #2 with 2 Ike DS125's. It's a lot more convenient but you have to be very careful with your strobe aiming with the DS125's

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Here's my incredibly biased personal opinion.

     

    There are two very good choices:

     

    1) Ikelite DS125(s) Powerful, wide angle coverage, fast recycle time, great aiming light.

     

    2) Inon Z240(s) Latest model more powerful, smaller footprint, reliable.

     

    I just switched to the Z240. It probably wasn't a great idea, but with 2 of us packing complete systems, the smaller size was quite nice. Regardless of what people tell you, the Ikelite DS125 is more powerful. The recycle time of the INON is noticeably worse. The INON's aiming light was worthless compared to the DS125.

     

    The benefit of the INONs is that the Ike's were so unreliable that I carried an extra, which got used a lot. I couldn't stand it any more.

     

    The DS200 strobe is a monster. I used to use the SS200's (packed 3 of these brutes because of reliability issues). I was so happy when the DS125's came out. Much easier to deal with. The power of the DS or SS200 was great back in the ISO50 Velvia film days, but shooting macro at ISO200 doesn't require the same power.

     

    My wife uses two Ike DS51's. No aiming light. One flooded on its maiden dive. One just flooded on the last dive of its 4th trip.

     

    I currently conflicted about strobes. Ikelites perform better, but the reliability is crap. This should generate a few comments.

  4. I use z240s with no issues. Just remember to turn them on!

  5. I use Sea & Sea YS350's for wide angle - they are like the sun, have used the Inon's for macro but have been more inclined to using the ring flash recently.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.