Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Coolpix 5900

Started by Higgo ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Coolpix 5900

5 posts
  1. Hey everyone, new to underwater photography and just have a few questions!

     

    I want to start taking some photos but am a bit short of cash. I already have a Nikon coolpix 5900 and am considering just buying a housing for it. I have found a few brands listed below.

     

    Will it be worth getting a housing for my camera or should I just stick it out and get a better camera?

     

    The camera 5mp and has 3x Optical Zoom. Automatic shutter speeds from 1/2000 sec. to 4 sec's

     

    Compatible housings include: (that I can find)

     

    Nikon WP-CP4

    Depth to 130 feet and doesnt look all that great from the wetsite.

     

    Fantasea CP-7 housing

    Made from molded plastic and depth to 40m. The way the specs have been written suggests that not all bottons are useable underwater. "will provide access to the cameras most important controls and features."

     

    Ikelite 6181.79

    Made from Solid polycarbonate and depth to 60m.

    This also has compatible strobes and all buttons useable.

     

    Thanks, any help would be great!

     

    Higgo

  2. Hi Higgo and welcome to Wetpixel,

     

    You will be happy with any of those housings. As long as you get very close to the subjects (less than 1 foot) you can get decent shots w/ the internal flash.

     

    The housings you have listed are basically listed in order of ruggedness. If you need a rugged housing then get the Ikelite. If not, then the Nikon housing will work for about a year of heavy diving before it needs service. Since service isn't available that's about how long it will last :-)

     

    I'm assuming your flash doesn't have a hotshoe, and so all the housings are basically functioning the same. Just a box to keep the water out :-)

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Hi Higgo and welcome to Wetpixel,

     

    You will be happy with any of those housings. As long as you get very close to the subjects (less than 1 foot) you can get decent shots w/ the internal flash.

     

    The housings you have listed are basically listed in order of ruggedness. If you need a rugged housing then get the Ikelite. If not, then the Nikon housing will work for about a year of heavy diving before it needs service. Since service isn't available that's about how long it will last :-)

     

    I'm assuming your flash doesn't have a hotshoe, and so all the housings are basically functioning the same. Just a box to keep the water out :-)

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    Awesome thanks heaps for that James.

     

    About how long will the ikelite last? Is service avilable for it? Is it expensive?

     

    I am aware that there are strobes avilable for the ikelite. Are they neccessary or just something extra that will help with the photos?

     

    Thanks again for that, much appreciated.

  4. The Ikelite housing will basically last forever - or however long you decide to keep it - as long as you get it serviced by Ikelite as recommended. The consumer camera units are very tough housings. I don't think it's too expensive.

     

    A strobe will improve you photos a LOT by adding back color that is sucked up by the water. You can get great photos w/ an internal flash as long as you are close (<1 foot) but a strobe will let you back up by up to 3 feet. If your camera does not have a hotshoe, you'll need some kind of digital slave unit - where the sensor is either built into the flash, or connected by a cord or fiber optic cable.

     

    Cheers

    James

  5. What is a hotshoe?

    What is a digital slave unit and what does it do?

     

    I'm completely new to this and have come from a freediving background. I know little about underwater photography.

     

    Thanks again, Higgo

    Edited by Higgo

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.