Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Scorpionfish?

Started by bella ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Scorpionfish?

14 posts
  1. Does anyone know what kind of scorpion fish this might be, if it is one at all?

    I can't find any references to ones that have the eye markings and the frilly appendages on its head.

    I found it at about 2 meters depth at Beangabang (I think)

     

    164513464-L.jpg

     

    164513518-S.jpg

     

    164513491-S.jpg

  2. The eyes are weird..like a crocodilefish. The only scorpionfish I can find in my references that have the long cirri are Mozambique (Parascorpaena mossambica), which also have the banded lips, young Papuan Scorpaenodes hirsutus) which has the skin flaps, and Ambon, which it isn't.

    Sorry, I'm stumped.

    Cheers,

    Marli

  3. Wow. He is great. I'm no help on the ID, but thanks for sharing.

     

    Alex

  4. nice fish, he looks like the offspring of a stonefish and a demon stinger...let us know if you id it. The more I look at it, the more stonefish it's looking, hmmm..

     

    Scott

  5. Amazing fish!

    if the rubble is sand, he must be tiny, so what about a juvenile?

     

    beo

  6. Amazing fish!

    if the rubble is sand, he must be tiny, so what about a juvenile?

     

    beo

     

    It wasn't especially small, about 10 cm long. I forgot to add that in my first post. :D

  7. Looks like a Spiny Devilfish (Inimicus didactylus) to me.

  8. It's not an Inimicus species. The shape of the head is wrong for one. It's body shape is most similar to a scorpion fish or stone fish.

     

    Cor

  9. Despite its short head, the rest of the body doesn't look like a stonefish to me. Suspect it is a type of scorpionfish.

     

    I believe that the eyebrows are not a distinctive feature. Many scorpionfish have these as "optional" features.

     

    My guess is to have a look at some Scorpaenopsis sp. images.

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  10. i haven't got my ID books handy right now though due the eyes I'd say it's Scorpaenopsis iops. Though this is a really cool one with lots of really long ciri!

    Now isn't that one hell of a dive site? I've spent days on end diving there and we were still finding new critters, next time it'll have to be even longer! I don't think there's any wish list critter that hasn't been seen there. I've had plenty of first finds at Beangabang...

    I don't think it has a common name! Though hey lets make a name up for here...

    Edited by Graham Abbott
  11. I don't think it has a common name! Though hey lets make a name up for here...

     

    With that ruff round its neck it should be Shakespeare's Scorpionfish!

     

    Alex

  12. Nice pictures!

     

    It is hard to say, but I would guess it is a species of frogfish?

     

    Where exactly did you take the pcitures?

     

    Best,

     

    Klaus

  13. cant help myselfe but the face and the shape of the body reminds me more on a blenny :D

     

    if you look at Salarias fasciatus maybe you know what i mean.!?

     

    anyway,really strange looking one :angry:

  14. Nice pictures!

     

    It is hard to say, but I would guess it is a species of frogfish?

     

    Where exactly did you take the pcitures?

     

    Best,

     

    Klaus

     

    It was taken at Pantar Island, Indonesia in front of Beangabang village.

     

    I'm going with Alex's name for it, Shakespeare's Scorpionfish. :D

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.