Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Macro Technique

Started by subpilotpaul ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Macro Technique

11 posts
  1. I just got a 60mm Nikor for my Nikon D70s and the appropriate lens for my Aquatica housing and I use a single SB105 strobe. Just looking for the basic setup for the equipment before I head out for the first time? Thanks in advance. Paul

  2. You have the flat port? Other than what you mentioned you might want a focusing light. Then just experiment with your lighting. Good luck.

     

    Dave

  3. Would I use Manual or auto focus?

  4. Would I use Manual or auto focus?

    I use the D70 with the same lens on auto mode, the AF is working great most of the time and a little help from a modeling light when needed solves any situation that there is not enough light.

  5. Hi Paul-

     

    Autofocus

    Strobe over port, centered

    f22, ISO 100 or 200, 1/100 to 1/125

    Set your LCD to -1 on camera

     

    Not sure if you are going to be shooting small critters (f22) or fish portraits (f8)...your settings may vary but this is a good start. Check our cozumel page on our web site....we have loads of pictures and settings with the 60mm and d70.

     

    This website:

     

    http://www.splashdowndivers.com/photo_gall...s_d70_notes.htm

     

    is a great resource.

     

    M.

    Edited by Starbuck
  6. I usually use AF. I set my camera to fire if it is in focus or not. Manual focus as a back up is a good idea if practical with your rig.

  7. Hi Dave,

    As a matter of interest, how many images do you end up with that are actually 'in' focus?

    I am assuming that you have set the camera to continuous focus instead of AF-S?

    I note that others also use this idea, but never display the ratio of 'keepers' compared to the 'deletes'...

    I am almost too scared to try, in case I miss 'the' shot of the day due to the lens continually adjusting focus...

    Thoughts from the collective would be most welcome...

    Bruce

  8. Hey Bruce

     

    I use AFC exclusively, AF-S tends to fail miserably in WA especially for me. Locks onto the wrong thing.

     

    I would say 98% my photos are in focus using AFC, the focus light comes on and it does tell you when it is in focus, then you take the pic..

    Certainly all the macro shots are in focus, every now and again a WA one won't be. No need to be afraid to try it. Give it a go on land and you will see it is actually very easy to use.

     

    M

    Edited by MikeVeitch
  9. If subject and camera are relatively still I get a good percentage of sharp images. Having a magnified viewfinder helps with this a lot. If require focus lock you may get more keepers; but you miss a LOT of shots because the camera won't fire.

     

    I often focus the camera the best I can then adjust the camera to subject distance to fine tune the focus. I find that easier than manual focus. Even with the new 105 AF-S port with manual focus I don't use the manual focus that much. Even then I manually focus then fine tune the focus by moving the camera slightly.

  10. To say that one way is preferable isn't accurate. Manual versus auto is mostly situational. Sometimes it's really A LOT better to be on auto focus than manual and visa versa. It just depends on the shooting situation (light, subject contrast, aiming light effectiveness, subject access, etc.). I wouldn't discount one as worse than the other....use them both as needed to capture your best work.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.