Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Translucent Dream

Started by Nick Hope ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Translucent Dream

13 posts
  1. Check out David White's dolphin video on Stage6. It's a huge file but well worth the wait.

    Edited by Nick Hope
  2. Hey Nick,

    Went to it but it said I had to download a divX Web player. Don't know much about them so I am hesitant to download anything that could install trouble making cookies.

    Steve B)

  3. Yes you have to install their web player. And then it gives you options to stream in the player or to download. I'd even kind of forgotten about that because mine's been installed for so long. It doesn't seem to have caused me any trouble.

     

    There is a growing body of really high quality stuff on Stage6. I'm busy uploading 960x540px 2000kbps versions of my videos to it at the moment. Can't think of anywhere else with a ready-made audience that'll host those sort of files for free.

  4. Nick,

     

    Thanks for the promotion, I truly appreciate it. I have been posting videos to Stage6 since very early in their inception. Yes, you need to download their player to play the files but it has never caused any problems with my system either. The DivX codec is absolutely incredible for converting video to stream over the internet. Another of my files, "Majesty in Motion" rendered out at 40Gb but is just a little over 100Mb when converted to the DivX codec. Big difference. The thing that I personally like about Stage6 is that they distribute high definition files at full screen while retaining very good video quality. Certainly worth a look. However, I have noticed that my P4 @1.3Ghz machine cannot play the files without losing audio and video synchronization...it is better to download the file. Even then, sometimes the syatem still hangs up. The dual xeon's @ 3.2Ghz system streams the high definition files seamlessly though. One day I will figure out what render qualty works best for distribution.

  5. David, hats off to an amazing job... Well done!!

     

    I'm also starting to slowly become of a fan of divx and stage6... I've been uploading only at 640x resolution... I'll try to redo some at 960x540 over the weekend.

  6. Pakman, what bitrate have you been using for the 640-wide videos and how have you been encoding them?

  7. Pakman, what bitrate have you been using for the 640-wide videos and how have you been encoding them?

     

    Nick, actually, that was one of my next questions... To be honest, I'm struggling to get up to speed with all the technical side of encoding from aspect ratios, pixel ratios, CBR vs VBR, deinterlacing, progressive... aaaah!! On deinterlacing, should I be using upper or lower field first? I think I've been just been clicking the "deinterlace" button in the export function of Premiere Pro 2....

     

    And for audio, what sample rate should I use to reduce the audio portion?

     

    Anyways, I'll post separately not to distract from David's excellent video here...

    Edited by pakman
  8. David,

     

    Got a question for you... I was looking at your Translucent Dreams video again. What divx encoding setting are you using? I was surprised to see that you got 6min at 1200 x 672 resolution in just a 165MB file!!

  9. The audio is 160 kBit/s, 48,000 Hz, Stereo, Lame MP3 (Sony Vegas "file properties" told me this after renaming the downloaded .divx to .avi).

     

    By my calculation that makes the video stream 3500kb/s. It does look very nice.

     

    I've been uploading files a little smaller than David's, at 960x540 (exactly half the lines of HDV) and I'm trying to decide on a figure between 2000kb/s and 3000kb/s for the video bitrate.

  10. Pakman,

     

    The file is initially rendered as HD 1080(1920x1080), Upper field first, Pixel aspect ratio 1.0000, SONY YUV Codec, interleave every .25 seconds, using SONY Vegas 7.0. The audio format is PCM Uncompressed, sample rate 48,000Hz, bit depth 16, stereo. It renders out as a 42.8 GB file. Once converted to the DivX codec using Dr. DivX in 1080HD mode @ 1200 x 672 pixels, the file is only 161 MB. Hope this helps.

     

    David

    Edited by David White
  11. Pakman,

     

    The file is initially rendered as HD 1080(1920x1080), Upper field first, Pixel aspect ratio 1.0000, SONY YUV Codec, interleave every .25 seconds, using SONY Vegas 7.0. The audio format is PCM Uncompressed, sample rate 48,000Hz, bit depth 16, stereo. It renders out as a 42.8 GB file. Once converted to the DivX codec using Dr. DivX, the file is only 161 MB. Hope this helps.

     

    David

     

    I've started to play around with Dr. Divx and I think I'm slowly getting a handle on this. David, do you mind if I ask you what settings you are using in Dr. Divx. Are you doing 1 pass VBR or 2pass CBR and at what bitrate?

     

     

    thnx

  12. It is 2pass but not sure of the bit rate.

  13. Pakman the video bitrate is 3500kbps. The calculator doesn't lie (1MB=8388.608kbits). But I suppose David might have encoded it at a quality-based level rather than a bitrate-based setting.

     

    If you're using Dr DivX then may as well use 2-pass as that program makes that easy. Just a bit more time-consuming.

     

    Personally I've settled on 2500kbps for the video stream at 960x540 plus 160kbps for the audio but I'm frameserving to VirtualDub, not using Dr DivX.

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.