Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Cupping Coral??

Started by tx51210 ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Cupping Coral??

6 posts
  1. I am trying to identify this fairly common species from Cancun/Cozumel. Thanks for any help.

     

    80893496.dUbILTK1.jpg

  2. It is either Montastrea annularis or Montastrea cavernosa.

     

    The polyps look more like M. cavernosa but it is hard to distinguish the two based on a close up of the polyps with no scale. Do you have a picture of the entire colony or something in the picture to show the size of the polyps? M. cavernosa has larger polyps and froms a smooth bolder like colony. M. annularis has smaller polyps and froms a bumpy colony bolder or plates.

     

    Here are some pictures of mine that show the colony shape of the two species.

     

    M. cavernosa http://www.photography.willandsam.com/?Gal...=10&Image=5

     

     

    M. annularis

    http://www.photography.willandsam.com/?Gal...=10&Image=6

    http://www.photography.willandsam.com/?Gal...10&Image=45

    http://www.photography.willandsam.com/?Gal...10&Image=54

  3. I think the Montastrea annularis is the correct answer. My memory gets worse daily but that seems to be what I remember, the pictures helped. I kept trying to convince myself that the scale of the polyps were larger.

     

    Thanks.

     

     

     

     

    It is either Montastrea annularis or Montastrea cavernosa.

     

    The polyps look more like M. cavernosa but it is hard to distinguish the two based on a close up of the polyps with no scale. Do you have a picture of the entire colony or something in the picture to show the size of the polyps? M. cavernosa has larger polyps and froms a smooth bolder like colony. M. annularis has smaller polyps and froms a bumpy colony bolder or plates.

     

    Here are some pictures of mine that show the colony shape of the two species.

     

    M. cavernosa http://www.photography.willandsam.com/?Gal...=10&Image=5

    M. annularis

    http://www.photography.willandsam.com/?Gal...=10&Image=6

    http://www.photography.willandsam.com/?Gal...10&Image=45

    http://www.photography.willandsam.com/?Gal...10&Image=54

  4. I believe it's M. cavernosa based on the height and size of the polyps. The M. annularis tend to look conjoined (I don't know if they are though).

     

    Cheers

    James

    Edited by james
  5. am I the only one not seeing any pictures ??

  6. Nope. Just a lot of red Xs.

    Marli

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.