I am going to Truk Micronesia in a few weeks and I was told not to bring my laptop because it might get stolen. Does anyone have an opinion on this or some experience/recommendations to offer?
Thanks ![]()
Read-only discussion
I am going to Truk Micronesia in a few weeks and I was told not to bring my laptop because it might get stolen. Does anyone have an opinion on this or some experience/recommendations to offer?
Thanks ![]()
Don't bring your camera then either - it might get stolen.
:-)
Sorry to be a smarta$$ - hopefully someone who has been there recently (BOB!) can comment.
Cheers
James
I don't think they meant specifically Truk but more small airports with no security. The guy that told me is going on the trip with me. He said that the security guards would just walk off with it. Even if I put it in my luggage it could still be taken.
Delta
That sounds like a fairly paranoid concept. I had no problem at all with my laptop in Truk last year, and I intend to take it there again in May. In fact, I'd be more worried about carrying it around at Newark Intl than Chuuk. As with anything, don't leave it laying around in a bag by itself anywhere, either in Chuuk, or any airport for that matter, as they're all pretty uptight about abandoned bags.
As a side note, I don't think Chuuk airport has Xray machines other than for checked baggage, so expect to stand there for a while on your return while they hand search your bag. Oh, and there's no air conditioning in the check in area, just in the waiting lounge, so dress appropriately...
Tom
Thanks for the help, this really sheds some light on this subject since you have actually been to Truk recently. I think the guy in my club is refering to some other area of diving. Oh, and he has never been there before either.
Thanks
Delta
Maybe so. The people in Chuuk are extremely friendly, especially to divers, which I'm sure is at least partly because of their dependence on what little tourism dollars they get from diving.
Tom,
Since you have been to Truk, what kind of dives did you do? I have been told that I will be doing bounce dives on regular air. What did you do while there?
Thanks
Chris
On my last trip to Truk I took my laptop plus at least three underwater cameras. I'm horribly paranoid (more so on the way out) so I carry on my laptop and all my topside and digital cameras and lenses. The underwater stuff is packed in a double-locked Pelican case, which is always just a few ounces under the 72# limit, so I have to check it. When you arrive in Chuuk, you can watch them take the luggage off the plane and keep your eyes on it until its in your hands at the baggage claim. From there you'll go through customs and just outside the door, you're ride is usually waiting. Funny, but both times the customs guy tried to get me to give him my split fins.
When leaving, things weren't quite as simple. They told me that putting my carry-on camera bag would take too long to put throught the walk-through Xray so I would have to check it through at the ticket counter, then pick it up at the plane. I was freaking out, but all went well and there were no problems. They didn't give me any gruff about my laptop which I kept with me at all times.
On both trips I was on the Odyssey, so once on board, I could leave valuables lay around and not worry about security. I think I would be much more careful if staying on land. No more than any other foreign destination, but its just easier on a live-aboard and no matter where you do, you don't want to attract problems.
Truk diving is amazing. Have a great trip!
Bonnie
I fly on average 150,000 miles per year and I drag at least 1 laptop, palm pilot sat phone/modem and half a dozen cameras and a dozen lenses through some pretty desperate 3rd world locations and I have never had a problem. Even when equipment has to travel by seperate light aircraft.
If you are complacent then you will lose stuff.
You are more likely to get the kit stolen in the States than you are in say Chuuk, Indonesia or Cuba.
It is very smart not to advertise just what you have got and not have several thousand dollars hanging around your neck in an attempt to look cool!
You are more likely to get the kit stolen in the States than you are in say Chuuk, Indonesia or Cuba
I second this comment. Can't tell you how many people I know who have turned around after putting a laptop bag down in Ohare, Detroit, Newark, JFK, etc., and turned back 20 seconds later to find it gone.
I think the type of diving you do in Chuuk is largely based on whether you're on a liveaboard or land. We had a very relaxed schedule diving from Blue Lagoon. We'd leave the dock in 2 boats at about 8:30 - 9:00, take a 15-30 minute average ride out to one of the wrecks, and do one dive. Upon surfacing, we'd go back to the resort, have lunch, then back out for a second dive. We did one night dive in the 5 days we dove, so most days we only did 2 dives. The boats they use look a little frightening at first, especially if you're used to big Coast Guard certified boats like you see in most of the US or the Carribbean, but I actually liked diving off these better.
This might seem like a very laid back schedule, but it was set that way by choice. I dove with a group of 12 people from the dive shop I go to in NJ, all of whom were tech divers of varying skill levels. The group leader and his wife have been to Chuuk 14 of the last 15 years (this year will be 15), and have had succesful trips every time so far. We all dove on air, carrying pony bottles ranging from 19-30 cu. ft. as a redundant air source. Virtually no dive had a max depth shallower than 90 ft, and most were in the 120-140 range, and bottom times ranged from 30-60 minutes, so many times these were planned deco dives. We had a special rig that we brought with us with deco stations at 10 & 20 ft with surface supplied O2 to do our deco stops. This year we'll probably switch over to trimix for a couple of dives to do some of the deeper wrecks and be able to remember them.
Truk diving is indeed amazing, especially if you appreciate the history of it. Based on your Introduction, I suspect you will. If you have time, pick up some of the book on the area. Knowing the wrecks before you dive them makes it that much better.
Have a great trip!!
Tom
Geez, have we all become so jaded? ![]()
I fly on average 150,000 miles per year and I drag at least 1 laptop, palm pilot sat phone/modem and half a dozen cameras and a dozen lenses through some pretty desperate 3rd world locations and I have never had a problem. Even when equipment has to travel by seperate light aircraft.If you are complacent then you will lose stuff.
You are more likely to get the kit stolen in the States than you are in say Chuuk, Indonesia or Cuba.
It is very smart not to advertise just what you have got and not have several thousand dollars hanging around your neck in an attempt to look cool!
Spot on Bob.
I cannot believe the naivety of this original post.
Open your eyes to the world.:ph34r:
Mark
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.