Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Aquatica A500 & Nikonos SB-104 OVER KILL???

Started by waterworldimages ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Aquatica A500 & Nikonos SB-104 OVER KILL???

3 posts
  1. Trying to figure ot if a pair of SB-104's is OVER KILL for the Aquatica A5000 housing? I know that they will TTL with the camera as long as the sensor is not blocked. But are they just too BIG for the application????? Would a better match be a pair of YS 90DX's????? Any opinions would be great... :P

  2. I think you will get across the board opinions on the strobe selection. I use dual 90DX's and have been very happy with the results. You can view pictures from the Roatan thread in the gallery links category.

     

    The one thing I wish I had that the 125's have is the quick recycle. The down side is the delay if shooting RAW makes that less of an option. If you are going to upgrade to a SLR in the future where you can use the quick recycle you may want to consider them. I did not as the dollars spent were just adding up too much at the time.

     

    JMHO

  3. I used an SB102 with my Coolpix 5000 which as you know is the "older brother" of the 104. I found that for macro shots, the camera couldn't quench the strobe fast enough some times and shotw were overexposed. I needed to move the strobe WAAAAYYY back to get good results and that's not always possible.

     

    What you want, in my opinion, is a small strobe with a wide angle of coverage.

     

    With that said, if you intend to shoot a D100 in an Aquatica housing then you should keep your 104's.

     

    Cheers

    James

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.