Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

What nudi is this?

Started by Mak_Jing ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

What nudi is this?

13 posts
  1. post-7593-1182696309_thumb.jpg Can someone help me identify this nudi? Saw it in Puerto Galera, Philippines. It was at most 1cm in length

     

    Sorry, bad photo, was trying out a really small point and shoot camera that does not have any setting options and the camera had problems focusing on something so small.

     

    Jing

  2. I am not sure but I think its the same as this one, at least its from the same basic ocean...

     

    2960370760100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

     

    2425694030100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

     

    2874783060100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

     

    Sorry for the debris but we have had a week of solid winds, rains and mixed up currents stirring up all sorts of things that seem to float forever. The back area of these looks alot like the one in your pic. The back stays closed but when a current flows across it the flaps open up and the colorful back is exposed.

  3. Your critter appears to be an Elysia sp. The closest I can find is Elysia trisinuata, which is known from Japan, but I'm not convinced it's the specific one, due to the yellow colouration.

    Cheers,

    Marli

  4. Not sure it's an Elysia. It's defintely more like the shape of a Thecacera, but funny green colour.

     

    Pity I don't have a better picture.

  5. This is the only other just as bad photo I have of this little nudi, but it seems to show the shape a little betterpost-7593-1182763505_thumb.jpg. It's facing the right hand side of the photo.

  6. Mak_Jing: I meant Islandbound's was an Elysia sp. Now that I can see the head more clearly, I'm pretty sure it's a sacoglossan, because of the rolled rhinophores, and the green colour. The two most similar are a Lobiger sp. and a Roburnella, but the range is wrong for a Robernella (then again, maybe it's something new). I'll post some links a little later.

    Cheers,

    Marli

  7. Thanks Marli. It does look like the second photo in the link.

     

    Jing

  8. Marli, I'm going to disagree with you on this one. There's no sign of a shell that I can see. I suspect it's a young Elysia tomentosa (or one of the cogeners) with the parapodial flaps tightly rolled. If you look through all of the photos here http://www.seaslugforum.net/showall.cfm?base=elystome or check out some of the sites with more reliable ids you'll see several pics similar to JIng's.

    Edited by Leslie
  9. Could be; really tough to tell from the photo, and hey, it's always just a best guess on my part. Even the scientists disagree on Elysia id's. I say, go back and get more photos.

    Cheers,

    Marli

  10. Could be; really tough to tell from the photo, and hey, it's always just a best guess on my part. Even the scientists disagree on Elysia id's. I say, go back and get more photos.

    Cheers,

    Marli

     

    Same here - best guess is all we can do without a specimen. :)

  11. Sorry guys for the bad photos. I am still kicking myself for not having my usual camera set up with me that trip. Did not have enough time to pack for the short 2 day trip, so took the point and shoot with me. But thanks for the discussion.

     

    Jing

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.