Skip to content

Member Introductions / Archived topic

G'day from Australia

Started by ATJ ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

G'day from Australia

10 posts
  1. G'day.

     

    Thought I'd tell you a bit about myself.

     

    My name is Andrew, but most people call me ATJ.

     

    I learned SCUBA in late 1978 (while studying Marine Biology)

    Got my first UW camera (and first camera, BTW) in early 1980 - Nikonos III

    Had various SLRs over the years but none of them housed

    Went digital in 2003 with a Nikon Coolpix 4500 in Ikelite housing with Ikelite DS50

    Bought a Nikon D70 in early 2005

    Bought a Ikelite housing for the D70 in May 2006 along with a Ikelite DS125 (which I used in conjunction with the DS50)

    Bought a second DS125 in April 2007.

     

    I now mostly use either my 60mm f/2.8D or the cheap 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II which gives me good results.

     

    A link to my dive log (with photos) is my signature.

  2. welcome ATJ

  3. Welcome ATJ. I had a good time flipping through a lot of your images. Interesting to see you get the depth info with each image. Are you cross-referencing the time stamp of the image with the time stamp of your divecomputer log?

     

    Bart

  4. Thanks for the welcome.

     

    Are you cross-referencing the time stamp of the image with the time stamp of your divecomputer log?

    Bart,

     

    That's pretty much it.

     

    I have a Citizen Hyper Aqualand dive watch which logs each dive (entry time, surface time, average depth, etc.) and it also records the depth every 5 seconds. I mount the watch on my camera rig so it is recording the depth of the camera.

     

    Before each (well most if I'm doing multiple dives in a day) dive, I take a photograph of the watch which allows me to determine the difference between the times on the watch and the camera. For each photograph, from the time recorded in the EXIF data I determine how far into the dive the photograph was taken and then look up the depth for that time.

     

    I have automated the whole process so it is just a matter of adding the time on the watch in the photograph and the time the photograph of the watch was taken into my dive log (home grown program) and then load the data from the dive. For each photograph I just type in the time it was taken and the program tells me the depth.

  5. Also from Astralya - Dongah is my name and diving and takin film is my game :)

  6. Welcome Dongah - not much film around here.

  7. Welcome Dongah and ATJ - good to have a few more Aussies kickin around the place.

  8. I have automated the whole process so it is just a matter of adding the time on the watch in the photograph and the time the photograph of the watch was taken into my dive log (home grown program) and then load the data from the dive. For each photograph I just type in the time it was taken and the program tells me the depth.

     

    That was my plan as well. I've been taking start-of-dive shots for my last trip but haven't yet found the time to write a Python program to automate the depth-calculation for each image. How specific is your code for the aqualand? I'm using the sensus ultra dive logger from ReefNet and can get a time/depth/temp text table out quite easily but need to extract time from the EXIF header and write the estimated depth info back into the EXIF header or an external database.

     

    Bart

  9. How specific is your code for the aqualand?

    The specificity to Lotus Notes is probably more of an issue. I use a Lotus Notes database for my dive logs and use Lotus Script and formulae to do all the automation, including generating the html pages.

     

    The Aqualand format is pretty straightforward:

    M,2007,6,24,1,10,10,20,10,31,5,0,0,62,154,32,17

     

    010

    018

    023

    026

    030

    029

    029

    029

    028

    029

    033

    033

    034

    034

    034

    035

    038

    036

    The header row gives the basics of the dive and then there is a list of depths (in 10ths of a metre), one for every 5 seconds of the dive. I simply load this data into a multi value field in the dive log document and reference that for each photograph.

     

    I'm using the sensus ultra dive logger from ReefNet and can get a time/depth/temp text table out quite easily but need to extract time from the EXIF header and write the estimated depth info back into the EXIF header or an external database.

    I haven't gone to the trouble of extracting the data from EXIF. As it is, I have to manually add the Image Title to the EXIF which includes the subject, location, depth and original filename, so it is just as easy for me to type the time into a popup on the dive log and have it tell me the time. I had thought of putting in further automation but realised it would not save me anything.

  10. Crikey..

     

    Just seen this thread and its like an Ex-cons reunion meeting... :):)

     

    Well except for Mike, but hes still on the run..Or so I hear :D

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.