Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Okay..I give...never seen this before

Started by ce4jesus ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Okay..I give...never seen this before

5 posts
  1. Forgive the photo. It was in cozumel and the current was getting along quite well. I found this the moment I descended. It was at about 60ft and was wrapped around the coral. Anyway, I snapped a quick shot. Any ideas?

    post-5434-1183263613_thumb.jpg

  2. Looks like the segments of the "bobitt worm" But that is just a guess, don't even know if they exist in Cozumel

    Leslie??

     

     

    terry

  3. I believe they are whelk eggs - or eggs from another gastropod.

     

    Cheers

    James

  4. James is right - gastropod egg capsules. Each capsule holds multiple eggs.

  5. West Indian Chank eggs (Turbinella angulata (Lightfoot, 1786)). Here's a photo, taken by Jeff Slimmon, of the gastropod in the act.

     

    [Jeff kindly gave me permission to post this picture - I wish it were mine!]

     

    chankjeffslimmon2002.jpg

    Edited by jlyle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.