Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

recommended u/w shops in hong kong or singapore

Started by jzsj0 ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

recommended u/w shops in hong kong or singapore

10 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I'm looking to buy an Inon Z-240 so thought it might well be cheaper than the UK if I picked it up in either HK or Singapore when I'm over there later this year.

     

    Does anyone know of any decent underwater shops in either of these places where I could get a strobe up from?

     

    Cheers,

     

    James.

  2. I have bought stuff from ScubaCam in Singapore before and was very happy with their shop.

     

    They had a lot of inventory and very knowledgeable staff.

  3. As Mak has said, Diving Adventure are the main dealer for INON in Hong Kong. I bought a Z-240 there a few months ago and I seem to remember it was around HK$4200, maybe cheaper. The problem is they don't hold much stock. I wanted to buy two but they only had one functioning and one not functioning (check it before you buy!!). I picked up the second strobe in Tokyo a few weeks later for HK$600 cheaper. Wished I bought them both there! Sometimes Ocean Sky Diving (http://www.oceanskydiver.com) can obtain INON.

  4. Diving Adventure... I bought my old Inon D2000 from them and many other diving items from them.

     

    But I ended up buying my 2 z240's directly from Japan... :)

  5. Wow, got to love these forums - great info!!!

     

    I actually bit the bullet and decided not to waste my holiday running around looking for strobes so ended up buying the strobe from www.uwdigitalcamera.com and the arm system from Reef photos.

     

    Both were *very* helpful (thanks, esp Ryan@Reef!), just can't wait for it all to be delivered so I can have a play :)

     

    Cheers,

     

    James.

  6. Just wanted to get this post another run since I am heading to HK all of a sudden. Between work I would have a day ot two to look at UW photo shops - so any update advice?

     

    Best,

    D.

     

    Wow, got to love these forums - great info!!!

     

    I actually bit the bullet and decided not to waste my holiday running around looking for strobes so ended up buying the strobe from www.uwdigitalcamera.com and the arm system from Reef photos.

     

    Both were *very* helpful (thanks, esp Ryan@Reef!), just can't wait for it all to be delivered so I can have a play :)

     

    Cheers,

     

    James.

  7. Just wanted to get this post another run since I am heading to HK all of a sudden. Between work I would have a day ot two to look at UW photo shops - so any update advice?

     

    Best,

    D.

     

    D,

     

    I haven't been out shopping lately at the local uw camera shops so I can't give much of an update but I really don't think much has changed.

     

    If you're working/staying over on the Hong Kong island side, then I would suggest Diving Adventure over in Causeway Bay which tends to carry more camera stuff including Inon. You could also try X-pro (formerly Prodive) which has sadly moved from heart of all the seedy girly bars in Wanchai(they're still in Wanchai but now over on Thomson Rd). I haven't been to the new store yet but the old shop only tended to have a few UW camera stuff, such as S&S strobes and arms. But if you're looking for wetsuits, you can get a pretty good deal there.

     

    If you're on Kowloon side there is Ocean Sky Divers in Tsim Sha Tsui - they tend to have Ikelite & Amphibico. There's also ChineseDivers up in Mongkok.

     

    If there are specific models you are looking for, check ahead as a lot of the shops don't like to keep expensive housings and strobes in stock at their stores but rather order on demand.

     

     

    When the yen was relatively weak (near 120), I found it was cheaper to purchase from dealers in Japan direct. With the Yen now at about 95 to a US dollar, I suspect it may not be the case anymore unless the Japanese retailers have been very fast to hike up their overseas prices.

     

    There are also a couple online Taiwanese shops that can be very competitive with the Japanese prices on housings and strobes.

    Edited by pakman
  8. Hi Pakman,

    thanks so, so much. I am here right now for a few days so will have a look around. Great write-up and I am sure others can benefit in the future also.

     

    Best,

    David

     

    D,

     

    I haven't been out shopping lately at the local uw camera shops so I can't give much of an update but I really don't think much has changed.

     

    If you're working/staying over on the Hong Kong island side, then I would suggest Diving Adventure over in Causeway Bay which tends to carry more camera stuff including Inon. You could also try X-pro (formerly Prodive) which has sadly moved from heart of all the seedy girly bars in Wanchai(they're still in Wanchai but now over on Thomson Rd). I haven't been to the new store yet but the old shop only tended to have a few UW camera stuff, such as S&S strobes and arms. But if you're looking for wetsuits, you can get a pretty good deal there.

     

    If you're on Kowloon side there is Ocean Sky Divers in Tsim Sha Tsui - they tend to have Ikelite & Amphibico. There's also ChineseDivers up in Mongkok.

     

    If there are specific models you are looking for, check ahead as a lot of the shops don't like to keep expensive housings and strobes in stock at their stores but rather order on demand.

     

     

    When the yen was relatively weak (near 120), I found it was cheaper to purchase from dealers in Japan direct. With the Yen now at about 95 to a US dollar, I suspect it may not be the case anymore unless the Japanese retailers have been very fast to hike up their overseas prices.

     

    There are also a couple online Taiwanese shops that can be very competitive with the Japanese prices on housings and strobes.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.