Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Canon S70 +D2000+Inon Lens

Started by Kevster ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon S70 +D2000+Inon Lens

4 posts
  1. Hi ,

    Just back from Bali , where I spent a week diving at Tulamben at the Tauch resort :) ,

    The diving was great & I will try to attach some photos in the next few days.

     

    On my stopover in Singapore I bought the Inon D2000 strobe and UCL-165 wet lens to go with my Canon S70 & UWL lens.

    Basically I set the strobe to STTL and set the camera to Av. This worked very well on most of the photos. I did not play around much with the manual camera setting due to the lack of pre-flash (and lack of knowledge using the strobe)

    I found it a little difficult ensuring the focus light/strobe was directed at the subject matter.(Any tips??) I have the ULCS arm system. I was not sure how tight to set the arm clamps before the dive.

     

    The main problem I had was interchanging the 2 Inon wet lens that I have. Basically I had to change the base plate mount fitting position to ensure the new UCL would attach to the mount.

    Using the UWL the mount fitting can sit very close to the camera housing and is securely fixed with the bottom screw. In this mount position I could not attach the UCL lens as the back of the lens would hit the front of the housing before it would screw into the mount.

    I had to move the base plate mount position further away from the camera housing and as a result the mount is less secure. This also means that the mount barrel fitting appears in my photos. I have to zoom in a little to ensure this does not occur. Anyone else have similar problems?

     

    Other than that I was very pleased with the Inon UCL lens. At last I was able to get some really nice macro shots that were in FOCUS, which is very hit & miss just using the S70. The other down side to my new set up is that the set up is very negatively buoyant, this was a bit of a pain while shore diving.

  2. Hi. I assume you are using the Canon WP-DC40 housing for the S70. To use the UCL165 close up lens, you need an adapter called the 28AD mount for UCL165AD. details here: http://www.inonamerica.com/products.php?product_id=255

     

    Excessive negative bouyancy of your rig can be reduced by attaching closed cell foam (like plumbers use to lag pipes) around your strobe arms (or any other convenient feature of your rig).

     

    How do you find the UWL wide angle lens on the S70? I'm looking at getting one for my rig, so your comments would be of considerable interest.

     

    Graham

  3. Yep, i now have this additional mount so i can switch from the UCL to the UWL lens no probs.

     

    I am just back from the red sea.

    My last 2 dive trips have been to Asia where the viss was average. This trip had great viss and the UWL worked very well. At last i managed to get some really nice photos using this lens. I was a bit unsure at the start but now i am happy with the UWL.

    I originally bought the lens as i was hoping to get soem up/under type of photos. Unfortunately the lens is not big enought for this.

     

    Other comments, if you buy the lens you definately need a strobe as the field of view is now wide , the internal flash will only just cover the left hand side. The lens also obsecures some of the flash output.

    You also have to be careful about cleaning the surface of the lens after use. I forgot to clean once and some water drops were left to dry on the lens. Sometime when i take photos of light burst at the surface i can see a mark in the photos where these dops dried on the lens.

     

    IMHO the UCL improved my photos more than the UWL as the S70 was pretty bad at macro but ok at the wide end

    I will post some photos using the UWL soon.

  4. We want to see the pics!!!!! Where are the pics?!!!!!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.