Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Digital Back for the Nikonos RS

Started by Gwangi ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Digital Back for the Nikonos RS

5 posts
  1. I love my RS, I know its heavy but the image quality is very good.

     

    I want to know if there is anyone out there know what it take to produce a digital back for the RS.

     

    I know all this is just a crazy idea... but do you think if there is any buyer if there is one avaliable?

     

     

     

    Gwangi

  2. I actually proposed this idea on line. But it would be more likely that someone might make a digital back for the Subeye camera. You have to take the back off of that camera to reload it so it would be easy to make one. Also it uses RS and all Nikon autofocus lenses. Finally it's not tied to a major manufacturer so someone else might be more inclinded to bulid a digital back for it. I believe it is still in production. It should be compatible with the DX lenses.

     

    Considering the number on the market; a digital back for the Nikonos V might be a big seller also.

  3. If I understand correctly, digital backs don't write to storage media in the camera/back - they usually are tethered to a computer and write directly to the computers hard-disk.

     

    I suppose you could use a really long lead to the dive boat? Kind of like surface supplied air diving, but only for 0's and 1's instead...:-)

     

    Cheers

    James

  4. Not 100% true James - check out the Sinar housed on UK-Germay's website. It writes to a drive housed under the camera. I agree, though, that this couldn't work on an amphibious system.

     

    Why would you want to put modern circuitry into 20yr old camera bodies anyway? It's likely that if anyone pursued this technology you'd wind up with a back that cost as much as a housed dSLR. It would be ready in about 2yrs - along with FF sub $2000 dSLRs.

     

    It will become increasingly difficult to get support for these systems as time goes by - why invest R&D in the line that Nikon discontinued?

     

    Come on Nikonos guys - let it go.... :P

  5. You go girl!

     

    Cheers

    James

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.