Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Image Browser

Started by Marcelo Krause ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Image Browser

9 posts
  1. Hi

     

    I´ve switched my PC laptop for a MacBook Pro, and I am now in the process of finding a new workflow for working with my images.

    I couldn’t find an image browser similar to ACDSee. I just want to browse some JPGS in thumbnails and those when double-clicked want to see them in full screen. A zoom keyboard shortcut while in full screen would be nice also…

    All this without having to import any images to libraries, like iphoto, iview and lightroom…

    Does anyone have any suggestions?

     

    Thank you,

    Marcelo Krause.

  2. Quick solution: select all images you want to see in finder, right click on them and select slideshow.

    It starts showing all selected images in full screen. Then you can navigate through them using arrow keys or onscreen controls.

    I think one of them shows all images as thumbnails. You can click on any of them to see it full screen.

     

    I use Aperture/iPhoto for most images and this build-in slideshow function for the rest.

  3. I have been using Photomechanic as quick browsing utility. It has a lot more capability than browsing but is very simple to use.

  4. I love ACDC also for the PC. On my Mac I browse with Adobe Bridge which comes with Adobe Elements.

     

    I find it more than adequate - although some people find it has limitations. I am mainly a video person, with only browsing and basic editing needed for stills, so I am more than happy ...

  5. Though I now use Aperture for most of my workflow, Photomechanic which I used previously is probably the fastest for initial download and sorting. A nice feature as well is the ability to download to your backup drive at the same time as the initial download.

  6. Thank you for all the info. I am trying photomechanic and it is a very nice software. Like many have mentioned very fast for initial download and sorting the images, even with RAW files. Nikon View is not as fast on a Mac as it was on the PC...

     

    Thanks

     

    Marcelo.

  7. I find myself using Bridge a lot these days (I got a really good deal on CS3 through my university), but I also have and like Photo Mechanic a lot. I am doing all of my RAW editing in Photoshop too, much faster than the Nikon software.

     

    Luiz

    Edited by Rocha
  8. I have been using photomechnic, as mentioned by others great for importing (metadata stationary pad etc) and very fast for review and edit. On my old workstation (G4 dual 1.25 and my old G4 laptop).

     

    Now I have a shiny new macook pro 2.4ghz core 2 duo and 4 GB of RAM :) , I am finding that I can review and edit in bridge quite nicely.

     

    I use ACR for my routine RAW processing, but do occasionally use the Canon and Nikon RAW converters for specific tasks, but only when desperate as I find they are way too clunky to be part of a productive workflow for large amounts of images.

     

    darren

     

    PS this is unscientific, so shoot me down in flames if i'm off the mark, but with my old, slower machines I found if I kept my image folders smaller than the amount of RAM I had, Bridge was more workable.

  9. My approach is different and maybe a bit naive. I just go ahead and load into Aperture. The browser in Aperture is very fast. I then reject as I think best, at my leisure. I periodically (every few weeks or months) use the search feature to find all items with reject ratings, review them and then delete them. The rating and keyword stuff in Aperture is adequate for my needs. I do >90% of my photo-editing in Aperture -- only extensive cloning or compositing (or luminance-dependent contrast settings) force me to take it into PS. I'm fairly happy with the Aperture RAW converter, wherever it comes from.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.