Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

New Nikon P5000

Started by ravengolfer ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

New Nikon P5000

5 posts
  1. I just purchased a Nikon P5000, Ikelite housing, W-20 wide angle and DS51 strobe and headed to Grand Caymans on the Aggressor in two weeks to try it out. I've been shooting Nikon's 25 plus years, including my latest toy the D200 and select the P5000 for traveling lite. I'am looking for optimal settings and advise for this new setup. Does anyone have time on the P5000 and in the Ikelite housing? I've seen Fantasea's test drive of the P5000 in their housing.

     

    thanks

    Michial

  2. Hi Michial

     

    im using a similar setup

     

    ike housing , p5000, 2x inon strobes fired by hotshoe.

    inon uwl100 with dome attachment ,2x UCL-165 M67 macro lense and another on the way.

     

    i have a few shots taken with this setup if you would like a look

     

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/8825200@N08/s...with/893094372/

     

     

    i use the camera in manual mode.

    metering center- weighted

    AF area mode- manual

    optimize image- more vivid

    iso-100

    auto focus mode- full time AF

    VR - off

    WB -flash

     

    wide shooting apeture - 1/125-1/500 f about 4.3?

    macro apeture 1/500 - 1/1000 f 7.6

     

     

    i really like the dome attachment for the inon wide lense.

    i also like th inon stacked macro lense UCL-165 M67

     

    i have found the thread on the front port difficult to get correct while underwater so i select the lense for the dive and attach on land , turn the lense anticlockwise to seat the thread (you will feel it click in ) and then screw on.

     

    batt life is a bit short so i just change batteries after each dive

     

    best of luck with your setup

     

    regards

     

    mattpost-1322-1185606358_thumb.jpg

    post-1322-1185606480_thumb.jpg

    Edited by jugglematt
  3. Hi Matt,

     

    Just got back from my Caymans trip. The P5000 is a great camera, but I had a problem w/the zoom control on the ikelite housing. 30% of the time that I pressed the shutter release the photo would not take due to the housing's zoom control shifting left on it's own (or from water resistance) and engaging the P5000 zoom control. Have you experienced any similar problems with the controls?

    Your pic's are increditable! I see that I really need to pick up a macro lense and a 2nd flash before my next dive trip.

    I've loaded a few pic's up on flickr and will add the settings once I have more time.

    caymans uw

     

    Thanks

    Michial

     

    Hi Michial

     

    im using a similar setup

     

    ike housing , p5000, 2x inon strobes fired by hotshoe.

    inon uwl100 with dome attachment ,2x UCL-165 M67 macro lense and another on the way.

     

    i have a few shots taken with this setup if you would like a look

     

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/8825200@N08/s...with/893094372/

    i use the camera in manual mode.

    metering center- weighted

    AF area mode- manual

    optimize image- more vivid

    iso-100

    auto focus mode- full time AF

    VR - off

    WB -flash

     

    wide shooting apeture - 1/125-1/500 f about 4.3?

    macro apeture 1/500 - 1/1000 f 7.6

    i really like the dome attachment for the inon wide lense.

    i also like th inon stacked macro lense UCL-165 M67

     

    i have found the thread on the front port difficult to get correct while underwater so i select the lense for the dive and attach on land , turn the lense anticlockwise to seat the thread (you will feel it click in ) and then screw on.

     

    batt life is a bit short so i just change batteries after each dive

     

    best of luck with your setup

     

    regards

     

    mattpost-1322-1185606358_thumb.jpg

  4. Hi Matt,

     

    Just got back from my Caymans trip. The P5000 is a great camera, but I had a problem w/the zoom control on the ikelite housing. 30% of the time that I pressed the shutter release the photo would not take due to the housing's zoom control shifting left on it's own (or from water resistance) and engaging the P5000 zoom control. Have you experienced any similar problems with the controls?

    Your pic's are increditable! I see that I really need to pick up a macro lense and a 2nd flash before my next dive trip.

    I've loaded a few pic's up on flickr and will add the settings once I have more time.

    caymans uw

     

    Thanks

    Michial

     

     

     

     

    Hi Michia;

    thanks for your kind words , i also like the camera, more and more . :)

     

    yes i am aware of the zoom issue , here is how i delt with it . with most photos i dont use zoom,, i do use zoom when taking some macro shots.

    what i do is when i have loaded the camera in the housing i position the zoom conector well away from the zoom knob on the camera , then on the od occasion i need to use zoom i rotate the switch zoom and then move the conector away again .

     

    it is a bit of a pain but you are correct in saying the camera wont shoot with the zoom engaged.

     

    i do like my 2 strtobes and im now using up to 3 inon macro lenses for real close stuff, i like the fact that there is no fringing visable from the edje of the lenses, as with some other setups.

     

     

    look foward to seing your shots.

     

    regards

     

    matt

  5. Hi

     

    nice squid shots, there not easy to get ,

     

    sorry about the last post , i used a computer where someone else had loged on .

     

    matt

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.