Here's a link to DIVER (UK) about the tragic news of the death of one of the UK's most respected underwater film-makers, Mike Portelly. He was only 55 and died of cancer after being diagnosed in 2001.
I felt honoured to have attended the 25th anniversary screening of his film "Ocean's Daughter" at the Antibes Festival a few years ago. The film introduced many creative effects, but unlike so many films I see these days, the special effects weren't used only for effect, but were actually bound tightly to the narrative of the story. Oh and here is the news item I wrote about it for BSoUP at the time:
I saw him one year ago at Sundisk competitions, he had a great presentation there with some episodes from his movies, indeed a great photographer.
Mike was definitely one of the classics. BSOUP was a great catalyst for many of us but only a few will be as memorable ...
Mike Portelly had a genuine love for the sea. Ocean's Daughter was the kind of film that dared to be different, to go beyond the travelogue or the marine biology crash course.
We will miss his enthusiasm and, hopefully, among those who do film/video, someone will walk in his footsteps, carrying the spirit further.
We will miss him.
Michel
I share the sentiments echoed above.
Mike was a truly inspirational character and our world is a poorer place without him