I've had some interesting (?) fun trying to find software for the AVCHD from my Sony camera. I tried Sony's MS Platinum, but it won't burn any kind of HD disk and to do HD it appears to require the MainConcept, which won't work on VISTA. Apparently, neither will the full DVD+ product burn an HD disk. So I gave up on Sony.
I tried upgrading my Pinnacle to Stuido 11+, but so far it seems to start dragging badly once you get to about 8-10 mins. on the timeline. And I have yet to get it to burn a successful HD DVD disk. Their support still hasn't replied with anything that makes a difference (my new hardware meets or exceeds their minimum specs for HD/AVCHD).
So now I'm trying Ulead. It appears to be working fairly well using the Proxy editing mode. But I don't know what kind of output to set for an HD DVD burn. I went to the "SAVE" menu but didn't know from there what settings to use. (I tried the "?" button but it says "Can't find help file.") I tried a rendering and what I did ended up creating a picture-in-picture rendering with double audio. Then I tried a direct burn operation, but it came out SD instead of HD.
Can someone offer input on what settings to use to directly burn to HD-DVD disk?