Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

mystery cave eel

Started by davelew ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

mystery cave eel

2 posts
  1. I'm new to underwater photography, but I've been taking pictures above water for as long as I can remember. One of the best pieces of advice I got for photography was "take bad pictures". On a dive off of Little Cayman in the Caribbean, the diver in front of me ran into the side of a swim-through and stirred up a lot of silt. I wanted to see the effect the silt had on photos (i.e. take a really bad photo) so I snapped off a shot. It came out pretty badly, and I don't think I'll try taking pictures of silt for the artistic merit anytime soon.

     

    However, when I looked at the picture later, I saw something that might be an unusual piece of coral, or might be an eel (but not like any of the eels I've seen in that area) in the upper left corner, looking curisouly (hungrily?) at the camera.

     

    This is a zoom-in of the upper left corner of the photo that was taken at about 50 feet in the Marilyn's Cut dive site off of Little Cayman in the Caribbean, shutter speed 1/60th, F/4.9, widest angle on my Canon S400 in a WP-DC800 housing with no external strobe (and yes, I will be upgrading soon!)

     

    post-11380-1184197718_thumb.jpg

     

    So, is this a piece of coral? An eel? A juvenile-phase Loch Ness monster?

  2. It could be the loch ness moster, big foot, or a ufo. ( or perhaps all three. everyone knows bigfoot came to earth on a UFO with his pet sea-monster)

    :)

     

    I imagine that this image would be considered excelent quality for use as proof of a fictional creature.

    But unfortunately identifying real creatures requires a bit clearer image. Sorry I cant be more help more. :lol:

     

    A quick underwater photography tip. Turn off the flash inless the subject is closer than 2' from the camera. Further than that the flash does nothing but produce a bunch of backscatter.

    Edited by acroporas

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.