Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Pale colours when printing

Started by kazb ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Pale colours when printing

3 posts
  1. I have a Nikon D200 and use Lightroom to convert the Raw files. Sometimes the files are moved to Photoshop CS2 for final sharpening and so on. The problem came the other day when I wanted to make some prints from the final JPEG files. The colours were pale and not very lively when they came from the printer (Canon 5200). They look fine on the screen.

     

    I have looked around in the programs and the print options as I suspect that it has something to do with the colour profiles os something... but I havent been able to figure it out.

     

    I use original ink and original Canon glossy photo paper, so the "hardware" should be allright.

     

    What am I missing ??

     

    Kenneth

  2. Hi Ken,

     

    A photo print will never be as lively and dramatic as a photo on your monitor, because a monitor is a transmission device. A photo print works by reflecting light from another source to you so it's going to be duller and will totally depend on what light is falling on it.

     

    So - since prints are always going to look different/duller/darker you need to use something called a printer profile - that tells your computer "This is what the photo is going to look like to you after you print it." Basically, you use "proof colors" in photoshop to do this. It should be pretty easy for you to get the profile for your Canon 5200, canon ink, and paper. Install that and then try soft proofing in Photoshop using Proof Colors. There are many online tutorials about how to do this - do an online search.

     

    Cheers

    James

    Edited by james
  3. I have a Nikon D200 and use Lightroom to convert the Raw files. Sometimes the files are moved to Photoshop CS2 for final sharpening and so on. The problem came the other day when I wanted to make some prints from the final JPEG files. The colours were pale and not very lively when they came from the printer (Canon 5200). They look fine on the screen.

     

    I have looked around in the programs and the print options as I suspect that it has something to do with the colour profiles os something... but I havent been able to figure it out.

     

    You have run into the dreaded color management problem. Space is too short here (and I am too lazy) to give you a tutorial, go to photo.net, look at the digital darkroom forum and look at color management and calibration. At last look there were 900+ original posts about color management and more than 3000 answering posts, many of them looking at the same question you just raised. As for prints looking like your monitor, prints should pop off the paper, good ones at least. In many cases, I like my print better than the screen image, don't let anyone tell you they shouldn't look as good. Different true, but lively and vibrant for sure.

     

    When you print from photoshop, you need to print using previews and have the correct color profile chosen and have all printer adjustments turned off to start. Take a look also at

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorial...rint-mgmt.shtml

    Michael does a great job in teaching how to use the tools that you have.

     

    By the way, you will need to first calibrate your monitor, I would vote for the eye-one colorimiters, but some folks like the Huey pro which is a bit cheaper.

    Cheers and dive safe

    BVA

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.