Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Strobe advice for newbie with Canon S60/WPDC40

Started by Chris in Houston ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Strobe advice for newbie with Canon S60/WPDC40

2 posts
  1. I'm new to all this. Last year, I bought the WPDC40 for my Canon S60. Used it on one trip to the Caymans and got some decent shots as long as it was shallow. I'm going to Turks & Caicos in a couple of weeks and have been looking into buying a strobe so I can get some better pictures on the deeper dives.

     

    Here's the catch: my S60 is intermittently working, but I can a). send it back to Canon for repair, b). buy a used one on e-Bay for not much more than the Canon repair cost, c). buy an S70 on e-Bay for twice as much as the repair (but get an upgraded camera), or d). just buy a new camera and housing (last resort).

     

    My housing does not have a hot shoe, but when/if I upgrade later, I'd like to have something that does. Therefore, can anyone recommend a strobe that I can use with my current Canon set-up but that will grow with me later on should I decide to upgrade?

     

    Thanks in advance!

     

    P.S. - Yes, I did a search. Any posts referencing my camera/housing setup and a strobe are at least two years old. Local dive shops seem to only want to sell me a whole new set-up, so I'm turning to the collective wisdom and experience here.

  2. I have Canon S70 with canon housing.

    I just bought the Inon D2000 strobe.

    Basically i picked it up on my stopover on my way to a dive hol to bali. Without reading the manual i was able to get good results using the Av camera setting & STTL strobe setting. Next trip i will try manual.

     

    The S70 is ok , but beware the poor focus ability at close range. I will upgrade my camera in a year or so. At the moment there is little on the market that i think i would upgrade to due to teh lack of RAW.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.