On a bareboat trip to the Virgin Islands I was photographing a pair of cuttlefish, which I now believe to be Reef Squid (Sepioteuthis sepioidea?) on a night dive.
After a few minutes of us getting used to each other one of the critters did something that I thought was really fascinating.
I had my Subal with it's double 8" arms folded and tucked in tightly. As I brought the camera to my eye the critter contracted its tentacles and posed in one spot. After taking a few shots I went to extend the strobe arms out to the sides to get a different lighting effect. The critter went back to it's normal look with tentacles extended straight in front if it as I messed with the camera to extend the arms. Well, this time, with the critter waiting patiently in front of me, when I brought the camera to my eye the critter took on a totally different shape with it's tentacles. It spread them out and posed again. At the time I thought it was interesting but I woke up in the middle of the night with goose bumps and a revelation.
Is it possible that it was mimicking the strobe arms? (Please go easy on the critique of the shots as they are un-retouched. I just got back on Saturday) ![]()
For some reason I can't seem to post attachments so here is the link to my flickr page with those critters.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/abbpics/sets/72157600203595528
Andy Bryant
Seattle, WA

