Skip to content

Conservation and the Environment / Archived topic

Crew Kills 83 Dolphins, Jokes About It

Started by shawnh ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Crew Kills 83 Dolphins, Jokes About It

8 posts
  1. image2104498g.jpg

    Photo: (CBS)

     

    (AP) A crew of Brazilian fishermen was captured on video killing 83 dolphins and joking about their illegal haul, Brazil's Ibama environmental protection agency said Tuesday.

     

    The video obtained by an Ibama researcher and broadcast by Globo TV showed the fishermen netting the dolphins, which suffocated because they could not surface to breathe....

     

    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/07/17/...tr=HOME_3066834

    ________________________________________________________________________

     

    I am always disappointed that so many fishermen who's livelihoods depend on the oceans bounty, show so little regard for the oceans. Furthermore, there seems to be celebration in their destructive fishing practices.

     

    Very sad :D

    Edited by shawnh
  2. It really makes my blood boil :D:angry:

     

    They should be flogged in public or on pay-per-view I'd subscribe...

     

    I just feel so damn useless at times like these.

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  3. there are few things that require of us the full use of such words as abhorent and disgusting.

     

    this is one of those times. but lets hope it just hardens our resolve to keep at it in bringin things

    like this to an end.

     

    has anyone sent this to any contacts in mainstream media?

     

    i'd be happy to try it for uk papers.

     

    mark

  4. This story already appeared a few days ago on the online site of the Dutch newspaper Telegraaf. Many readers responded in outrage about the killing of these intelligent and beautiful animals, which is good but I'm sure few would have responded if these had been sharks or other animals that don't induce a "Flipper syndrome". This video shows the travesty of current fishery practices and I hope it wakes up more people to the bigger problem of by-catch.

     

    Bart

  5. if I were president and I identified these fishemen, I would give them Chinese justice and decapitate them publically. That would make these c-sers think twice.

  6. ugh... did I read that right... they sell dolphin meat for shark fishing?

     

    slaughter dolphins...

     

    use dolphin meat to fish for sharks...

     

    catch and fin sharks...

     

    repeat...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.