Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Renting SLR/DSLR lenses?

Started by paquito ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Renting SLR/DSLR lenses?

5 posts
  1. Hello Everyone,

     

    I'd like to look into the possibility of renting some land lenses for safari but don't know where to turn? Does anyone know if renting is an option, and could you please recommend some good sources to research and contact for doing this? For example, I'm interested in a Nikkor 200-400mm F4 VR but simply can't afford to own one and don't even know if these type of lenses are rentable given their cost, etc?

     

    Thank you for your help,

     

    paquito

  2. Paquito:

     

    I purchased an expensive lens on Ebay for my safari. I also made sure to buy a lens coat and kept the lens reasonably protected for my trip. When I returned home, I sold the lens for the same price as I bought it for. If you can afford the up-front cost, you can pretty much get a free rental!

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Thank you Gentlemen.

     

    James, I can afford the upfront cost as you say, and if I can get a reasonable resale of the lens afterward, then I suppose this would be the same as renting as well. It is another way of thinking of it, thank you.

     

    Cheers!

  4. Here's another vote for the buy it used and sell it later approach.

     

    Sometimes you can get more than you paid for it if you clean it up real well and take great pictures of the item for ebay or craigslist.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.