Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Jim Watt passed away peacefully yesterday

Started by yahsemtough ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Jim Watt passed away peacefully yesterday

10 posts
  1. I received email that my good friend Jim Watt passed away yesterday morning. I am very saddened by the news as I had done a number of shark trips with Jimbo. Jim was the first person to take the time to show me the ropes in underwater photography. One evening on the Shearwater he called me over after working through his shots to go through what he was doing and why. I have never forgotten his generousity.

     

    I am really at a loss for words as we kept in touch and he was always a source of feedback and inspiration. You will be missed my friend.

     

    A couple of subpar photos.

     

    82527153.jpg

     

    82527157.jpg

     

    Rest in peace

     

    Todd

  2. I never met Jim Watt, but your tributes are wonderful Steve and Todd.

    Rest in peace.

     

    I've posted a tribute at:

     

    http://www.scubadiving.com/NYCU_aloha_james_watt

     

    words are not enough for all he's done and who he was.

  3. Todd, I know exactly what you said about Jim, I first met him two years ago on Kona Classic, it was my first shootout, I was completely lost, had problems with language and communications, because I´m brazilian and don´t speak english very well, but Jim was there for me, and with great patience and undestanding he helped me out. And at the end of the shootout a great surprise!!! I won three prizes!!! And I´m sure Jim was the one behind it!!! LAst month I was at Bonaire Shootout and met him again, and was gladly surprised to see him diving, he was a incredible fighter beyond everything. He came to this world to make it better. Marcia Arita de Melo or Marshmellow (the way he used to call me)

  4. I had the honor and great pleasure of meeting Jim Watt for the first time in person last month at the Bonaire Digital Shootout after hearing so much about him all these many years. And what stood out for me most was how generous and genuine he was. It was my first time as a presenter at the Shootout, and Jim went out of his way to make me feel at ease. And I watched as he tirelessly helped other imagers with their work, making suggestions and giving feedback in such encouraging ways. He was an inspiration to all--an artist, a teacher, an innovator and a genuinely good human being. He will be greatly missed.

     

    Mary Lynn

  5. Saddened to hear it. Living out here I bumped into Jim a number of times, once in Yap for a few days and a couple of times here in Palau. The one thing that really stood out was his warmth and willingness to discuss even the most basic of techniques with beginners. He never tired, was always the first to have a slideshow ready from a preceding dive, was always fast with an anecdote for any given situation. All in all one of the 'good guys'. You'll be missed Jim.

     

    Mark.

    Edited by CamDiver
  6. I will miss Jim's contributions to our craft. I didn't know him personally, but enjoyed his work a great deal. Travel well, Jim.

     

    Budd

  7. Very sad news indeed, my thoughts are with his family...

  8. As destiny might have it I had the privilege and good fortune to spend some time with Jim and dive with him for the first time in Bonaire several weeks ago. I follow in the trail of so many photographers who have become inspired by his work. When I heard that Jim would be teaching seminars in Bonaire along with his good friends Berkley White and Eric Cheng I knew it would be a tremendous opportunity to gain additional knowledge from the master who helped pioneer the technique of split image photography. Jim was not only the consummate artist behind the lens he also had the generosity to share his knowledge with others. This can only come from the heart. I am grateful to have spent what little time there was with him and from the knowledge he bestowed. I felt touched.

  9. Sad news. I never met Jim Watt, but I was a fan who hoped that someday I would. My deepest condolences to his family.

     

    Robert Delfs

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.