Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Hi, I need some advice

Started by rodriguezfelix ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Hi, I need some advice

6 posts
  1. Hi, I need some advice about how much I should charge for a couple of photo sessions for an Venezuelan apnea athlete.

     

    The photos are to promote and ORIS divers watch, made it at his name “ORIS Carlos Coste Cronograph L.E.) (this watch is near USD 2.000 a piece), you can see it here:

     

    http://www.oris.ch/collections/collections...;id_product=275

     

    This guy and his manager are friends, and they ask me to do an underwater photo session and a pool session to advertise the watch. I don´t want to overcharge (even when is a big company behind paying for the photos), but I don´t want to undercharge it either, so, I really appreciate as many advices I can have on this…

  2. Anyone???? any advice will be apreciatted... i´m on a deathline....

  3. When you say to advertise the watch, is it something we'll see on the billboards, magazines, etc? Seems like that is what they are asking for. If that is the case, you'll want to charge higher than what you'd think since you're really selling them the right to use that photo in all of their advertising.

     

    So to figure out your rate, of course to cover all your expenses. Where do they want to have the shoot? Will you need to have transportation, lodging, etc? How long will the actual shoot be (time)? What equipment will you be using? Things like that should help you figure out a rough guideline on how much to charge, to cover your already purchased equipment and to cover the needed expenses to do the job.

     

    The harder part of this is assigning a hourly or day rate to your time. What is the shoot worth to you? Is it something you'd do for $20 or is it something worth a lot more? Keep in mind, they asked YOU, so it means they recognize your ability to take photos, use that to your advantage

     

    I don't do this for underwater photography, but I've done this quite some times with my automotive photography. A little different but still a similar approach. The standard editorial car shoot for magazines range from $200-500 depending on the amount of pages, importance, etc. So since you'd be shooting for their commercial usage, it'd be quite higher. A photographer friend of mine who does a lot of photos for corporations such as Hyundai (basically commercial photography) has charged up to $10,000, just because he's agreeing that the photos he has taken can be used in ANY way by the company he's shooting for. He is selling his copyright of the photo. Normally, you're selling the USAGE of the photo but you still hold the copyright. By selling the copyright, he gives up his photo and allows the company to use it however they please. That's why he charged so much since he no longer owns that photo.

  4. Some facts:

     

    - The Diving Site is a drive thru from my home, no more than an hour.

    - Pool Site is closer.

    - Session I believe to be no more than an hour (1 dive).

    - Pool session no more than 30 min.

    - My time worth 100$ both sessions for them (as a friend).

    - Venezuela is a non defendant nor pursuant of copyrights infringements, so photographers are really bad remunerated.

     

    So my main concern is how much worth a picture to be used by the company in catalogs, magazines and website.

  5. Very difficult call, but I'd say $500 a day would be a fair benchmark. Good luck!

  6. I work in the comercial photography realm in the DFW area. A normal day rate for a commercial photographer is around $1500-2500 plus all expenses for that type of advetising. Plus an average unlimited usage fee of 50-100% of your dayrate. Since you don't do this type of work on a regular basis. I would charge minimum $1200 + expenses plus an unlimited usage fee of $600. Hope this helps. Good luck with the shoot.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.