Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Best Photo storage device for the money

Started by tjgreen ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Best Photo storage device for the money

4 posts
  1. I'm looking for a laptop alternative for a trip this fall. I've seen some old strings on the Jobo Giga Vu Pro vs Epson P-5000, but the Wolverine is much cheaper, and seems to do much the same thing - handle/allow zoom on RAW - which is pretty much what I need. Has anyone tried the Wolverine ESP?

  2. Has anyone tried the Wolverine ESP?

    I just got one last week and so far so good. I made a quick trip down to Panama City last weekend and used it to save and view my pics.

     

    It handles my D200’s RAW files fine and it will optionally display the EXIF info with the histogram. Also the 3.6" LCD on the Wolverine makes it easier to choose which shots to delete. I never felt comfortable doing that using my D200's LCD.

     

    Luke

  3. I think the Jobo may have a few features that differentiate it.

     

    1) It can act as a wireless FTP server (not that most of us need that)

    2) It can act as a USB host - meaning you can do a full copy to another portable hard drive

    3) Firmware is not on the HD so you can change the HD yourself (can't on Epson)

    4) Dunno if the Wolverine does audio but the Jobo is a decent MP3 Player

     

    Cheers

    James

  4. I think the Jobo may have a few features that differentiate it.

     

    1) It can act as a wireless FTP server (not that most of us need that)

    2) It can act as a USB host - meaning you can do a full copy to another portable hard drive

    3) Firmware is not on the HD so you can change the HD yourself (can't on Epson)

    4) Dunno if the Wolverine does audio but the Jobo is a decent MP3 Player

     

    Cheers

    James

    The Jobo and Epson both have 4" screens too. When I was looking at the different options that was the biggest factor in their favor. The fact that the Jobo can act as a USB host is another plus.

     

    In the end I decided based on price. The 120GB Wolverine was almost $200 cheaper than the 80GB Epson P-5000 or the 80GB Jobo Giga Vu. We'll see how it works out after I've used it awhile. I might end up missing that bigger screen.

     

    And it wasn't a big factor for me but the Wolverine does do audio and video. I think it will actually record video if you get the optional cradle. It's also got an FM radio built in.

    Luke

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.