Not true, the D200 housing has a focus knob. But I don't think there's a focus gear for that lens...
You could try a port from Patima, they are compatible (Pastima used to be peddeling Nexus in Korea in the olden days) and have a focus know on the port itself. Dunno if it fits though, but see if you can get your hands on one to try it out.
I use the 105mm VR a lot myself, and have no problems with autofocus - as long as there is enough light. The easy solution is to get a good focus light - then there are no "low light conditions". I'd try that first, anyway.
My housing doesn't have the AF on/off know installed, but if you get that one you can always get it almost right by automatic, switch it off and do the rest by moving the camera back and forth.
Chris